Tactical Nuclear Penguin

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Orleander, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Has anyone had this? It sounds disgusting. I'd have to mix something with it and I wouldn't have a clue as to what to mix with a beer. It is even technically a beer with this much alcohol in it?

A controversial Scottish brewery has launched what it described as the world's strongest beer - with a 32% alcohol content.

Tactical Nuclear Penguin has been unveiled by BrewDog of Fraserburgh...

...A warning on the label states: "This is an extremely strong beer; it should be enjoyed in small servings and with an air of aristocratic nonchalance. In exactly the same manner that you would enjoy a fine whisky, a Frank Zappa album or a visit from a friendly yet anxious ghost."

However Jack Law, of Alcohol Focus Scotland, described it was a "cynical marketing ploy" and said: "We want to know why a brewer would produce a beer almost as strong as whisky."...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

i don't know why he deems it cynical, seems like its been designed as a fun drink, the name and description humourous and people will try it just for a laugh. the people at alcohol focus scotland probably think anything promoting irresponsible drinking is satan.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

but...but...isn't promoting irresponsible drinking WRONG! :bugeye:

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

I don't get it, if its got that much alcohol content why is it called beer? shouldn't it be like lager...anyways its way too much and it better have a large warning label there.

8. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

i'd start discussing this, but is there actually anyone on sciforums who thinks this beer in particular is improper/shouldn't be sold/whatever? the only argument i can think of is that if people think its a beer they'll drink too much of it, but if they're so retarded they don't check the alchol % or notice the taste, i vote screw them.

i think the large warning label's a good idea.

one risk is a person with no sense of taste (and probably smell) could ask for a beer, and be served a penguin by a bartender with a sense of humour. in this case i think consumers need to stop assuming all beers are x%.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  9. kurros Registered Senior Member

The article says there is a warning label, and I'd guess it was the white strip around the bottom of the bottle, in which case it is pretty big. I see no problem here.
    I'm sure its a lot more expensive than any other beer so even the hypothetical person with no sense of taste should know something is up when he has to pay through the nose for a beer with a funny looking label (I don't see this coming from a tap either).

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

BrewDog keep doing this, and coming up with stranger and stronger beers. They love pissing off the 'nanny state officials'. If memory serves, the company is run by two guys, so is hardly a threat to Western Civilisation. They are a small, independent award winning brewery making niche products.

I'd like to try 'Tactical Nuclear Penguin' but I don't fancy shelling our £42 quid for a bottle to find out I don't like it. Yes, that's what it would cost to get a bottle shipped via their web store. I could have 75cl of very good whisky for that money, rather than 33cl of 'Penguin'. That dude from 'Alcohol Focus' should do some research before he speaks, because he comes across like an ill informed buffoon, incapable of using Google.

11. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Love the name.
    I'll make penguin adele routine.

No. I know you don't get it!

12. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Sounds like something to try once in UK.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

But with that high of an alcohol level, is it still beer?

14. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Tell me about it.

Half a minute's work revealed that there have been two 25% alcohol beers, a 28%, and a 29% produced.

http://www.beertutor.com/beers/index.php?t=highest_alcohol

15. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

From what I understand..no. To be called "beer", at least here in Texas, it has to have less than 3.5% alcohol...more than that, and they call it "malt liquor".

16. kurros Registered Senior Member

Weird, practically all beer I know has more alcohol than than. What kind of piss-water do you Texans drink?

17. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Damn that is better then Canadian Beer I going have to try and get some of that. Looks to be a damn fine Beer.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I wonder if I should present this at the next PTA meeting

Ah, to grow up in Belgium.

...British schoolchildren caught swigging beer know they will be punished but in Belgium, where quaffing ale is a national sport, schools are to start supplying pupils with beer at lunchtime believing it to be healthier than fizzy drinks.

In a scheme that makes Britain's now defunct milk promotion campaign look tame by comparison, a Flemish beer lovers' club has approached 30 schools and suggested that they substitute low-alcohol beer called tafelbier for sugary drinks such as lemonade and Coca-Cola.

Apparently unconcerned at the prospect of pupils falling asleep at their desks in the afternoon, at least two schools have already agreed and one has launched a pilot scheme.

Almost 80% of children who took part in the pilot scheme in Belgium's Limburg province said they had enjoyed having beer instead of a soft drink and other schools are expected to follow suit when the new school year begins in September....

19. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I think the 3.5% I quoted was wrong...it may be 5 or around there....but there is a point at which you have to start calling it something else, like ale, and cannot legal label it as "beer".

20. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

yes after 5% you start calling it a Man's Beer

21. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

22. phlogistician Banned Banned

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Its not like stronger drinks aren't allowed. :bugeye: