I put up a website for my bug pics

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Varda, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I know that some of you just want to be disgusted and terrified at arthropodes, but there are some among you who like the pics, so here you go.

It's a simple blog type of website, in which I promise to post at least one picture a day. You guys have probably already seen a lot of them, since I post them here, but you will see new ones there (I have hundreds upon hundreds of them) and they'll be followed by a little remark that may or may not be educational. Sometimes I'm in the mood to be silly, you know.

Anyway, I am still figuring out how to run a website, so there might be broken stuff and information missing here and there. It's difficult sometimes to just spot everything by myself, so I'm hoping that some of my sciforums friends can come and take a look. Please let me know what you guys think sucks so I can make it better. You're welcome to post comments over there too.

It's a pretty simple thing. The only purpose of it is to show my pics.

phoneutria.us

BTW mods, I'm not spamming, I'm genuinely asking for help and offering content. Besides, I'm a senior poster, you know I'm not trying to take advantage of you. Right?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I loved it. I was kinda freaked out by the praying mantis, (and why is it praying and not preying??) but that's just me. I obviously need to see more real bugs

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

My 8 yr old was on his way to bed and I was looking at your website.
    He finds it very cool and can't believe how big the spiders are over there.
    He found a big one (not compared to yours) but big for around these parts.
    I took a few pictures before we released it. He said would this person know what kind of spider it is ?
    I said yeah SHE loves bugs. He said a woman that loves bugs? that's kinda weird isn't it? lol

He also said will she be posting more pictures? You have his interest...

If you don't mind I will post the pics tomorrow and maybe you know what kind of spider it is.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Haha, maybe whoever named it that thought of it as a little pun.

I thought that those toys were super cute. I am going to put book recommendations on that spot too, it's not just for toys.

8. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Cool. Tell your kid that I am going to post at least one a day, and that I have lots of pictures of pretty exotic and colorful looking ones that he has probably never seen.

I'll try to find out which spider it is that you found when I see the pic. I'm sure that enmos can help too.

9. draqon Banned Banned

you know whats sad....that on Varda's website the advertisement reads "Seattle spider control: protect your home and family" and "Get rid of spiders"

how sad...like seriously.

As said, the website needs some serious work. Like it probably would be better if Varda made it in a blogging format from one of sites: www.blogger.com

10. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Draqon, I saw that earlier and thought it was pretty funny. WTF was google thinking putting pest control ads in a "for lovers of crawly things" site? I think that as I start adding more content, the ads will begin to match better. I've only started a week ago.

I'm using wordpress for this, and there are hundreds of different layouts. I picked this one because it looks pretty simple, but it turned out that it doesn't do a lot of things that I want it to do.
    Since I've already spent some time tweaking with this one, I feel a little reluctant to change, but I think I will probably give it up for something even simpler.

11. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

BTW I'm going to change the colors of those ugly ass ads to make them look more subtle, and I am still studying what are the better places to put them. I actually hate having ads in my blog, but my husband thinks that if I'm going to put work and time into this, I should monetize it somehow.

12. draqon Banned Banned

monetize...youre too early for that. I seriously suggest you go with blogger.com it will be less strenious. Its really easy and professional looking you know. Plus it would be nice if you had it more professional like gave a scientific introduction how all the lineage of the insects is linked...like who evolved from who and whether crickets and spiders share same ancestors or come from same family. You know. But thats of course a lot of work. ...I mean you're not afraid of work, are you?

13. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I might change the theme, but I am going to stay with wordpress.

And I'm not sure if I want to go in that direction. There's plenty of other websites/forums where you can go for serious scientific information. I kind of want to keep it playful.
    I don't know, though. I am willing to listen to the masses. If more people tell me that they want a more serious site and less of my girlishness, than I'll go for that.

14. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

And about being too early to monetize, I really just want to set it up and forget about it. To me this is about making my pics available to people I want to show them to, not about money.

15. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

BTW I appreciate your criticism.

Now go look at my "about" page.

16. draqon Banned Banned

yeah not everyone on this forum appreciates criticism =( o well.
    about the "about" page "yes I am very lady-like"???? what is that about?

17. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I've had people tell me that I shouldn't call myself bug lady because I am not a lady, as I use too much fowl language.
    Very mean people these were

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Do you think I should get rid of that? Yeah, I'll get rid of that.

18. draqon Banned Banned

well, thats a question I can't answer. You want this a personal sort of thing or a professional bug thing? I mean, it depends. Yeah.

19. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I haven't put any thought at all into writing. I just started to add stuff so I wouldn't have a bunch of blank pages. I've been more involved with setting things up. I think that some other time when I feel inspired I can sit down and write a better about page, and some better posts too. Maybe I'll even research a little

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Very nice, Varda. Simple is good!
    It does need more pictures though

This may be a stupid question, but how do I register? There is a login, but no option to register..
    Or is that your personal login?

Do you have a banner that I can use on my website to link to yours?

21. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Here is the spider he found. I bookmarked your site for him, so he can check it out, he is fascinated with spiders and bugs....the bigger the better!!!

Are all your pictures going to be of bugs you have found or photographed?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  22. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Thanks

Thank you for pointing out that register problem. I guess I had the "anyone can register" thing disabled. I fixed it. Now when you click "leave a comment", under the login thing there is the option to register.
    I'll enjoy reading your comments to my pictures. You can add further information or correct me if I say something wrong

I don't have a banner yet, but I'm going to make myself a cute logo and a banner, and then I'll send it to you. I appreciate it! I'll link your site too if you're ok with that (as soon as I figure out how to do it).

23. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I think that's an Araneus diadematus, also known as cross orb weavers. What distinguishes them is those characteristic white dots on the top of their abdomen, forming a cross shape.
    Their classification is:
    Phylum Arthropoda - Arthropods
    Class Arachnida - Arachnids
    Order Araneae - Spiders
    Infraorder Araneomorphae - True Spiders
    No Taxon Entelegynes
    Family Araneidae - Orb Weavers
    Genus Araneus
    Species diadematus - Cross Orbweaver

Nice pictures.