An old story

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Pipes75, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Pipes75 Registered Senior Member

Many topics on this site remind me of an old story.

The story goes:

Theirs a boy on the beach throwing starfish into the ocean.

A man comes down to the beach and asks the boy, 'What are you doing?'

The boy replies, 'The tide washed all these starfish to shore, so I'm throwing them back before they die.'

The man looks down the long stretch of beach and says, 'Do you know how many miles of beach their is? What's the point, you can't possibly save enough starfish to make a difference.'

The boy picks up another starfish and throws it into the water and replies, 'I made a difference to that one.'

The obvious message being that not everyone can be saved, but it's still worth it to try.
    But when I further anylize this story, a key component is left out.
    Not all starfish get washed to shore.
    Many starfish have never even seen the shore, so they don't believe the shore even exists.
    Many of the starfish take their comfort in the water for granted, since they have never felt the extremes.

I've been washed to shore, but I found my way back to the water.
    Many have always been in the water but they are unaware of anything but the water.
    Many others are on the shore, and need some direction to refind the comfortable water.

Not everyone walks in the valley like me.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Pompous starfish wobble.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

life is about getting washed to shore, those who have not been washed to the beach have not experienced life.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pipes75 Registered Senior Member

If you can't see the symbolism in the message, then maybe the message wasn't for you.

8. draqon Banned Banned

the message is for everyone, not all see it the same thou.

9. Pipes75 Registered Senior Member

Agreed to a certain extent. Although the fish that never get washed to shore still experience life, they just don't appreciate it all, and are not aware of the things they haven't been exposed to. The are in a life long struggle, rather than feeling free.

Many use fear as an excuse to make us aware. I have awareness without the need of fear.

I'd say it's also being washed to shore that allows us to feel an extreme - afterwards if we can refind the water, we appreciate it much more then we use to.

I played the game on both sides of the extremes before I was aware of the balance I needed.

10. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Oooh, maybe I should "anylize" it some more then...because, you know, I really want it to be for me.

11. Pipes75 Registered Senior Member

LOL
    I feel sympathy for you, as I do for all the lost.
    But I'm not a fan of sacrasim.
    If you got a question, ask.
    If you got something to say, speek freely (I can not be offended, so don't hold back

).
    But sarcastic comments that don't contribute anything are not neccessary.
    If you got nothing positive or negative to say, I don't have nothing to reply to.

So tell me what you don't like about the analogy so I can try to explain rather then droping negative nothings.

12. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Sacrasim, the sacred simulation of the pompous starfish wobble/swim/movement.
    Is that particular for the "valley" or does it occur on other natural formations too?

13. Pipes75 Registered Senior Member

Again if you can't see the symbolism, I can't explain it any clearer without knowing your issue.

Damn, I got to remind myself that 'Ignorance is Bliss' way to often on this site - I'm gonna enjoy my songwriting forum for a bit - it seems to have better 2 way conversations without judgement - something too many in here have difficulty with.

I got nothing but Love and Respect for you.
    I should know better then to expect the same back though.

14. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I didn't mean to scare you off, anecdotal person. I have nothing against you and your godly beachboys.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  15. Pipes75 Registered Senior Member

Scared off, lol

I just don't know how to show a fish in water that there is more then just the water.

Furthermore this story is not an original thought of mine. I have heard the story many times. Most recently it has been used regularly by a teacher at the trade school I attendended where I recieved the Director's Award in electrical technology with 96%!
    The teacher that uses this analogy is involved with a positive thinkinng intro that all students must take along with some basic math. The same teacher works us through job search and fundemental resumes.

Don't think I'm not logical just because I'm also spiritual

Gotta go, I'll be back later - you didn't scare me, but I gotta go see my buddies dog that just had puppies today

peace

16. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Pax vobiscum.

17. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Is there a point to the OP or is it simply preaching?

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Maybe starfish are supposed to be washed onshore, and the more you interfere, the more you fuck it up.

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Is that why you post tired hackneyed drivel?
    To show your respect for us?

20. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Well maybe the ones that have not been washed to shore are the better for it as they need not know the shore as they are comfortable where they are. And what if the Starfish came a shore and were not washed ashore and this kid comes along ans screws up there grand plan.

21. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Maybe it's a story about slowly foiling the Secret Starfish Invasion of Dry land - one step at a time.
    And a call for volunteers to rush to the coast and help before it's too late?

22. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Thank you, I was beginning to think there was something terribly wrong with me, I felt so misunderstood.

23. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

sheesh, angry people, calm down.

The actual religious aspect of the story went right over my head at first.

I thought it was just a message about trying to help others, even though it may seem impossible or pointless.

Even if you aren't religious it is still a positive way to think about helping others who need it.

So many people say 'whats the point?', 'what difference can one 'starfish' make?', but the truth is, helping even one person (starfish) can cause change.

just MO.