do you have a job?(economy related topic)

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by NMSquirrel, Nov 24, 2009.

1. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

how is the current economical situation affecting you?
    Do you still have your job?
    are you seeking,but not finding any?
    are you about to loose your house/truck/whatever?
    How is the economy treating you?

it seems to me they need to change the way they are doing things..(government) they keep trying to apply the same bandaid (raise taxes) to current problems..haven't they figured out yet that that doesn't work??
    if they wanna fix things how bout making my rent cheaper?
    make it so it doesn't cost so much to live..(aren't they trying to make it more expensive by trying to pass the mandatory health insurance thing?)
    the government doesn't need more of my money..I DO!!!
    they should set it up so anybody makeing less than X doesn't get taxed..figure from what it would cost for necesities (food,utilities,roof over head,transportation) AVERAGE,meaning do not pick the lowest..

anyway,i would like to see some ideas about how we can truly fix the economy..not just put a band-aid on it..

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

We should all gather up our money and give it all to President Osama so he could distribute the wealth a little more evenly among all the citizens ...whether they work or not, whether they're drug addicts or not,......

Osama has THE WAY ...I know this, because he's said so several times! And JoePistole says so, too.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Where do you live?

Here in the rust belt (Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, USA) unemployment is 15% or higher in many places. The Automobile company outsourcing and current meltdown cascaded by real estate/mortgage crash has left the detroit area a largely uninhabbited waste land. I think they went from something like 4 million to 900,000 people.

It's like a far reaching spider web that radiates for hundreds of miles as whole communities were dependent on component supply factories that have long gone out of business. Of course this put's everyone from the home builders to the shoe salesmen against the wall.

I was involved in a machine building company. After 15 years of perfect credit, I'm in the middle of losing everything I have.

They do that now...but like you said they just take it some other way. That's the problem. They can transfer Jack's money to Jim but they stole some and they paid an employee to file and mail it..So now we've got four entities (jim, Jack , Uncle SAM, and Uncle Sam's employee) splitting JACK'S money. Because at the end of the day JACK is the only one producing a physical product that can be sold and is stimulating commerse.

The logistics just aren't there.

It can fiix it's self in time, but If the fed can't thread the needle all bets are off and the people with REAL wealth that doesn't reside on a peice of paper will call the shots and the dollar may become a footnote in history. Not the end of the world, just the world as we know it..What happens durring this transfer will be absolutely crucial to the question of freedom among Americans as we have come to know it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I have more jobs now than ever in my life before - three official, one or two scab. All of them part time, of course.

Having never been much in debt, I have nothing to lose really. But the continual erosion of earning power and accumulated wealth suffered by the working class in the US since the late 70s does seem to be hitting a critical point, in which the structure of the economy changes and we become a different kind of society.

The trend has been toward Brazil's setup, for a while now, but Brazil's trend is otherwise. Maybe Paraguay, in the basics?

8. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

I live in New Mexico (hence the NM in NMSquirrel..lol)
    its not as bad as some areas..not too many major business, going out of bussiness..but there are lines in this small town of ppl looking for work..i am a small contractor and i have more ppl calling me looking for work than ppl calling me for remodels..my bussiness is dead right now..(holidays always)..but i usually can find something to help through the holidays..its not looking like its gonna happen this year..christmas is gonna be a little barren around the tree..

so how come i can't pay jack directly?
    this is something i would be willing to discuss..a way to do it so we are not so dependant on the money..

9. Ellie Banned Banned

yes and dont forget the same people want free crack and legal gun ownership taken away.

10. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I can't afford to travel, plastic surgery, luxurious lingerie.
    I can't remember ever having one.
    Yes, yes.
    Maybe whatever.
    Very bad.

11. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

1) Well, because most of my income is commission based, I've noticed a steady drop in sales.
    2) Yes, two years and counting.
    3) N/A
    4) I came REALLY close to losing my house a few months ago, but I had a good month at work which helped me bounce back after the 3 month dry spell of earning bare salary.
    5) See #1

12. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

13. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

refresh

update
    how is it going?
    is it getting better or worse?

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'm called by my old companies I worked for to come back and work for them. They can't get enough workers that they can rely upon any longer for different reasons like not knowing how to do the job correctly or they are substance abuse users they can't trust or their drivers licenses were bad. There's a host of reasons that I'm told that they want to hire but can't find skillful enough people and its to bad they can't. Retirement for me is just fine but because of medical problems and age I really can't return to my old job in the trades. I'm doing OK so far but might sell my house and move into an apartment on day if my money doesn't go far enough to keep me where I am.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  15. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

We don't travel anymore and there's less money available.
    No.
    Yes, I'm looking. I had an interview yesterday and have another on Wednesday. I feel confident that I will have work very soon.
    No.
    My biggest gripe is the issue with prices. Everything has gone up. My money is worth less.

Let's face it, the global market has not been a boon for the American worker. We were sold out for corporate profits. Now that Pandora's box has been open, I'm not sure it can be closed again.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I have a job, but many of my friends are hurting financially, unemployed, disabled, or in debt, so I have sacrificed somewhat in order to help them.

17. SilentLi89 Registered Senior Member

A few years ago when the economy first fell apart, things here were really bleak. As a college student with no real world experience, it seemed like finding a job was going to be impossible. My university has a large alumni network and career fairs here usually involved 100s of companies looking for entry level college grads or undergraduate interns, but in 2009 hardly any of them signed up. The job fair had gone from over 300 companies to about 40, it was really depressing. However there seems to be little denying that things have improved. By the end of 2010 most of the companies had returned (about 170 companies showed up) or been replaced by other companies looking for employees or interns. The most recent career fair showed even more improvement. Companies are hiring again and you can find many "help wanted" and "now hiring" signs all over the city now. They may not be the jobs people are particularly looking for (such as fast food, grocery stores, bank clerks...etc), but if push came to shove there are jobs available. I am not out of college just yet, but I will be in a few months. At the moment I'm not all that worried that I won't be able to find a job of some kind.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I didn't notice this thread when you opened it. I had just finished a job that I had had for a year and a half--a subcontractor and my part of the work was complete. I got a new job seven months later--an unusually long period of unemployment but my record is eighteen months (in the boom years of 1997-99) so I'm not complaining. This is a full-time "permanent" position, but it's still government contracting so there's no guarantee.

After struggling with periods of unemployment that were often longer than my gigs, I left my wife at home in California and took a job in the Washington DC region. Unemployment is low here because this is where all our money ends up; if you stand outside the Capitol Building with your hat out, some of your own money will spill back into it. Even during the Great Depression when the national unemployment rate was 25% it was only 10% here. Men came from all over the country to set up shoeshine stands because Washington was the only city where people could afford to pay somebody else to shine their shoes. Right now it's about 8% here, hardly worse than a normal year in Kansas and better than a normal year in California. Headhunting firms are hiring more headhunters to work in their own companies, because their client firms are posting more jobs than they can handle.

Who knows whether this phenomenon will continue? But in the meantime I'm staying in Washington. It's the most wonderful place I've ever lived; I wish I had discovered it fifty years ago.

19. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

update..

my construction business is dead.

this year has been slow from the get go..
    i have had maybe four jobs since january.
    i usually do kitchen remodels and baths, it has been so slow that i talked one customer into letting us build his garage,(after three months of not working)
    first when we poured the cement we had problems, one truck ran out of gas in the middle of pour,we had to wait for them to get it out of the way before we could finish pouring, it caused problems and i had to (guilty 'had to') reduce my wages to make up for the problems, then my guy ran off on me (he was working two jobs at the time) and i had to go to the unemployment office to pick up a few guys to help finish it,now at this point we were doing trusses, and one of the guys fell of the wall and broke a few things,( he was only there for three hours..) he immediately filed for Workers Comp..

now i did say i haven't worked in three months since the start of this job, which means my finances were nonexistant, which means i had to let the insurance go as i did not have the money to renew..you can see where this is going..i have a court date on the 10th of aug..i still think i am at the mercy of the WC board..(lawyers won't talk to me without money) i don't even know if a lawyer would make any difference..(any advice would be appreciated)

we finally finished that job,(customer was VERY reasonable through the whole thing) and i haven't worked since..my contractors license was due for renewal at the end of june..again, no money to renew..(and the WC thing hanging over my head)

so the economy finally got me.
    fortunately i was able to get a $1500 mobile home(paid for before it got dead) and set it on a $165 a month lot, which is the cheapest i have ever had for a monthly rent payment, i had figured it out that now we only needed to make $1000 a month to exist here at this place (still the cheapest i have ever had),
    so right now, my daughter is working and taking care of the bills and i am staying at home and taking care of my granddaughter while my daughter works.(that is a story in itself)

btw..the guy who ran off on me is now bugging me to put him back to work (he ran himself off the other job) even though i have explained to him how/why i am not legal anymore..

20. Watcher Just another old creaker Registered Senior Member

I have had work my entire adult like except for 6 months following 9/11/2001.
    I have been in my current job for 8 years. (US, Midwest)

I will say this; if you are an older worker, you had better not lose your job or you will be screwed. Corporations have figured out how to discriminate against older workers, it's easy. They simply won't interview you or respond to your inquiries. They understand clearly that older workers are an insurance cost up, and in the US, keeping medical and insurance costs down is the key to profitability.

My current situation is OK, but Retirement with any degree of comfort is increasingly unlikely. My standard of living will continue to spiral down.

21. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I arrived in the US in July of 2008. The big crash happened in September. My parents still joke about the world economy tanking because of me.

Anyway I didn't get work permission until mid 2009. I did contract work for a company in Brazil until early 2009, when things changed in the company's organization and I got shafted on about 20% of what I was supposed to make. Took my money and kindly asked the to go fuck themselves.

Work permit arrived and since then I was never able to get a full-time job in software development. Worked as a sales rep for a biotech company for a while, as a baker for a while (that was awesome), and as a temp in a govt related position I'd rather not describe. In other words, odd jobs here and there.
    I've been getting some web development/small back end jobs for some change. I've been fucking around with android lately and I'm having fun with that.

My garden looks absolutely amazing, though.

If I didn't have a husband to pay the bills and buy food I'd probably be eating dirt cookies right now.

To be honest, unless I'm making a shitload of money, it's not even worth leaving the house. I contribute more to the team by being a good housewife than letting the house fall apart to go get some change in some shit job.

Hence, I'm not looking for work anymore. I'm going to pick up a couple more skills, throw together some good apps, and aim for 80k

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Either that or become a farmer, I seem to be good at that.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

It's not for me. I would die as a housewife. Maternity leave was very hard for me. I cannot do the home thing

ya got chickens?

23. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

I'm very fortunate, no thanks to the economy.