Price On A Possible Gau Prayer Box?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by jessiej920, Nov 23, 2009.

1. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

For quite a few years now I have been in possession of a small, round box (about the size of a tangerine) that appears to be made from silver or silver filigree.

I believe it has the prayer Om Mani Padme Hum written on the lid and I believe it is a Tibetan or Bhuddist Gau or prayer box. It's not a pendant.

There is more writing encircling the box, but I have no idea how to read it. I think it might just be the same chant or prayer repeated 4 times. There is also what looks like little figures encircling the bottom (maybe Bhudda?).

Anyways, it's hand crafted and has weight to it, but there is no name or date or country or anything written on it anywhere that I can tell.

It is also set with a huge lapis stone in the center of the lid about the size of a nickel and encircling the large stone are 17 smaller stones which I believe to be turquoise, red coral, and more lapis.

I bought the box in an Antique Shop for 2 dollars, but now I am wondering if it might be worth more...?

The writing and the filigree is beautiful, the smaller stone settings aren't great, but the Lapis center is sizeable.

I don't know if this is something that it just manufactured by the bulk (even though it's hand crafted) or if it could be something more.

I searched on the internet and have found slightly similar jewelery, but no boxes and nothing that truly looks like it.

I don't want to part with it, but I am interested to know if it might be worth money, even just more then 2 dollars, lol.

Does this type of box sound familiar to anyone?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ellie Banned Banned

it doesnt sound familiar to me, but doesnt a box need to be square?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Fine. A round container, then. But that really isn't the point.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Why don't you post a picture?

8. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

I will try. I have to charge my camera, but here is kind of what it looks like...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Only mine is more intricate and it isn't a pendant, and it has the prayer writing on it.