Christmas Songs

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by superstring01, Nov 19, 2009.

1. superstring01 Moderator

For those of you who celebrate this day, I'm wondering what your favorite Christmas songs are.

Simple enough.

~String

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Jingle Bells with the cool jazz guitar comping.

I also envision hot girls dancing around in skimpy santa suits whenever I hear that song, don't know why.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superstring01 Moderator

Oh. . .

My favorite Xmas song is

Baby It's Cold Outisde

While not technically a Christmas song, it's still played mostly around that time of year. I prefer the old, OLD versions. There's a version that I adore, in which the singers (I can't identify) break away from the song and actually chat a few lines (as if in an olde time radio variety show) before continuing on to sing the rest.

~String

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Little Drummer Boy and Away in A Manger

8. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Anything that Nat King Cole sings

9. superstring01 Moderator

Songs like "Oh Come, Oh Come Emanuel" and "Oh Holy Night" are beautiful, but I struggle to look past the religious nature and just hear the notes. Not totally impossible, but with my wandering mind, I get hung up on the religious aspect of the songs.

. . . not really protesting, I mean, hey--it used to be a religious holiday and still is for quite a few--but I'm not.

~String

10. superstring01 Moderator

Good choices.

~String

11. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Same here, but for some stupid reason all of the ones that were done for corporate gain I give a free pass to.

12. superstring01 Moderator

Which ones are those?

~String

13. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Silent Night (the Temptations' version), White Christmas, Blue Christmas, Winter Wonderland. O Holy Night is a really beautiful song. Just about all of them I guess.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I love Christmas.

14. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Good question, so I am not sure where some of them originated from and if they have any historical significance.

But I am pretty sure:

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire
    White Christmas
    Jingle Bells
    Santa clause is coming to town
    Have yourself a merry little christmas
    Winter wonderland
    Most wonderful time of the year
    Silver Bells
    Blue Christmas
    Holly Jolly Christmas

Were all written and created to sell records or advertise or sell something.

I could be wrong and forgive me because it is not an area that I have spent much time researching since I only like the songs and don't really care where they came from.

15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I kind of like the ones that make good slide guitar tunes.

All Through The Night.

Angels We Have Heard On High

The wassailing songs, to sing.

The Holly and the Ivy is surprisingly good to sing.

16. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

17. superstring01 Moderator

Okay, I admit, there is ONE modern song that I love:

All I Want For Christmas Is You

It's a pop stroke of genius that I can listen to, maxed out on my cars speakers, even in the heat of July.

~String

18. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

*coughcoppycatcough*

19. superstring01 Moderator

LOL!

Sorry. I didn't click on your links. . . I thought they were BOTH references to "Santa Baby"!

*coughfuckyoucough*

~String

20. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

shows us how much you pay attention

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. superstring01 Moderator

Let there be no doubt: I am an ADD poster child. I have the attention span of a gnat. My admin is constantly bemoaning her poor luck at having to work for me only to spend a sizable portion of her day keeping me on track and on message.

I walk in to post-it notes on my door with highlighted messages, ranking the importance of the information they contain. Calls to my cell phone, practically every hour, reminding me of some meeting or conference call. Upon interviewing her for the position, my one firm requirement was for her to have a Rain Man-esque memory & punctuality and the willingness to use it to keep me organized. There were no illusions given: "Heather, I'm totally absent minded and insanely forgetful. You need to know this up front. I can't begin to exaggerate how poor my short term memory is, so be prepared. I'm hiring YOU to alleviate that fact. If this is too much, tell me now." At that time: Certain that I was exaggerating the point, she accepted the position. A year later: Certain that I wasn't clear enough during the interview, she grumbles through the day, chasing after me to finish whichever project I was walking away from.

~String

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Silent Night is a must have on xmas eve.
    My children (and I) love Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.
    How about Grandma Got Run Over by A Reindeer. Its a funny country western song I heard a lot growing up

23. superstring01 Moderator

Ahhhhhh. Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer! A classic.

Not to be forgotten, the perpetually laughable:

~String