DNA Dating Site

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Orleander, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think this is total crap. Biological compatibility??? WTHell is that?

Genetic love match? Dating sites try DNA tests

NEW YORK - Looking for love? Try leaning in for a ... cheek swab.

Some genetic testing companies are promising to match couples based on the DNA testing, touting the benefits of biological compatibility.

The companies claim that a better biological match will mean better sex, less cheating, longer-lasting love and perhaps even healthier children.

"How many dating services can you think of where they can suggest you might have better children?" said Eric Holzle, founder of ScientificMatch.com, one of the first online dating sites to use DNA.

Holzle wouldn't reveal membership numbers, but GenePartner, a Swiss company that works with matchmakers and dating sites, has tested more than 1,000 people, according to chief scientific officer Tamara Brown. Some were already coupled and took the test out of curiosity.

The GenePartner Test is $99, and will be offered at the dating site sense2love.com when it relaunches next month.

The idea is that people tend to be attracted to those who have immune system genes that are dissimilar from their own.

Biologists say the HLA genes of the immune system — which are responsible for recognizing and marking foreign cells such as viruses so other parts of the immune system can attack them — also determine body odor "fingerprints." And people tend to be attracted to the natural body odors of those who have different HLA genes from their own....

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

The part about healthier children may be legitimate. The rest sounds like bullshit to me.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superstring01 Moderator

So, will this ultra-compatible DNA* taste better when swallowed, or wipe off her chest any better, as in most cases? If so, then, I think they're on to something.

~String

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Well, technically there IS such a thing as being better suited to someone biologically. Doesn't mean everything else is going to fit though.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I could go to this site and find out I'm a biological match to angrybellsprout or Mikenostic. What does DNA have to do with personality?

9. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Exactly. And you may very well be a biological match with someone you're not a personality match with, just like you may find you're a personality match with someone you just don't find attractive.

Although I'm sure there are scientific theories somewhere on DNA and personality traits. :shrug:

10. mike47 Banned Banned

The DNA is something very private and to provide it to anyone is just ridiculous .

11. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

That would be the question, now wouldn't it, Orly?

Maybe DNA / genes do influence personality. If personality is not determined by genes, what is it influenced by? Nurture?

If personality is influenced (at all) by genetics, then romantic compatibility must similarly be influenced by genes...

If you totally dismiss the DNA notion, then - why? In its place, what does create personality? Your only choices left are nurture, God, or both. Which do you go with Orly?

12. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

These people voluntarily share this information! Should they be prohibited from doing so, Mike?

13. takethewarhome midnatt klarhet Registered Senior Member

How absurd.

"Want a date? Genetic profile, please."

14. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Private?
    It's deposited almost continuously, as skin flakes etc., everywhere you go.
    It probably comes under the same legal standing as trash.

15. mike47 Banned Banned

No .
    It seems their privacy is not important to them .
    I would not go that far to meet a person .
    I know it is expensive to have a parental DNA test .
    I have no idea how much this DNA for dating costs .

16. superstring01 Moderator

Huh. Gattica may have had it right, after all!

~String

17. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Gattica

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

---
    In relevance to the thread, the first thing that attracts me to a girl is her unsmellable scent. I'm convinced

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Exactly!
    • Does your body produce a chemical that the potential mate is allergic to? That's certainly worth finding out, but AFAIK in 2009 there's absolutely no way we can find that out by analyzing his and your DNA.
    • Do you both carry a gene which, if doubled, will generate a serious birth defect in your children? Uh... if you have that gene, some cold-blooded rationalists will tell you not to procreate with anybody, in the hope that some day it will be extinct.
    Almost any other type of "compatibility" is a little beyond the scope of our still-primitive understanding of DNA.
    And they need a scientist to figure that out? Why not just lock them in a warm, poorly ventilated room for fifteen minutes?
    The closest we've come to connecting DNA with personality is Jung's model of archetypes, which are instinctive beliefs: motifs (legends, images, rituals) that occur in all societies in all eras. Like other instincts, such as fleeing from a large animal with both eyes in front of its face, they must be preprogrammed into our neurons by our DNA--except it's difficult to see the survival benefit in, say, belief in the supernatural. It might be a random mutation passed down through a genetic bottleneck like Mitochondrial Eve or Y-Chromosome Adam.

But there is certainly not yet a gene map to the Meyers-Briggs personality profile.
    That genie is out of the bottle. You leave samples of your DNA everywhere you go. Within a few years the wise, caring and infallible government will have one from each of us.
    Those are called pheromones. They work like any other odor except the process in unconscious. Again, you don't need a scientist for this.

Although I suppose it might be nice to find out that the reason you're inexplicably attracted to someone who treats you badly is a secret chemical, not your own tendency toward self-destruction.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

how do you know that? I suppose its only trim pretty girls who have that scent, huh?

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Since the cost to join the site is only $99, I wonder what kind of genetic test they are doing, if any.

21. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

ooohhh, ooohhh, much better question...

Orly, how did you know that this only applies to trim, pretty chickies?

22. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Will a DNA test tell me if she likes *cough* dressing up, and that her dad owns a Guinness brewery?

23. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

"Good Natural Smell" by Clean Women.