Gender Disappointment

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Orleander, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I can relate to gender disappointment. I didn't want a daughter and was disappointed when I had one. We had no more children after that because I didn't want to risk having 2 daughters.
    I think a lot of women and men can relate, but it is something people rarely admit to because it is seen as selfish.
    Why is it selfish to want a specific sexed child? :shrug:

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

I sometimes fathom wanting a son. Being a male, I like the idea of being a father to a son. If I were, however, with a guy who wanted children, I could also fathom having a daughter. But. . . I'm also quite addicted to my free time and ability to get up and do WHATEVER I want. That would be a big sacrifice for me to make, and one I'm loath to ever consider making.

~String

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

do you think its selfish of a person to want a child of one sex over the other?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

To some degree, yes it is.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

why? My brother and his wife have 5 sons. Their only daughter was stillborn. Would it be selfish for her to be disappointed that their youngest boy wasn't a girl?
    I think everyone wants a specific sexed child and just says "I just want a healthy child" because that's what is expected.
    I never said that.

9. John99 Banned Banned

NO. But that doesn't mean you have to be an imbecile about things and not accept it. If a human has a brain the human can and, sometimes, will have preferences.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I agree. Its not like my sister in law puts dresses on her youngest, but I do catch her looking longingly at my daughter.

11. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I think that is a generalization about parents. Some parents really do not care they just want to be a parent. Its a 50/50 shot I'm not saying it makes you a bad parent to be disappointed, but it does seem just a bit selfish.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so you never cared if your wife gave birth to a boy or girl?

13. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

No, I don't think I would...however I have no intention of having children anytime in the near future so I don't know what the expectations are of a soon to be parent, nor do I judge them for being disappointment, just seems like if the kids in good health it should be a blessing, not a disappointment.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yeah, it seems that way til you have them. Especially when you have 5 boys.
    My daughter went to a daycare with a girl who had 10 older sisters and one younger brother. I think having babies til you get the sex you want is selfish. Those 11 girls knew they weren't the kid their parents wanted

15. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Well of couse its selfish... everthang people do is for selfish reasons :shrug:

16. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

What I don't understand is why people prefer one gender over another, is it really a big deal?

Anyways, I'm going to keep trying until I get what I want - one that isn't a pain in the ass.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think if you raise a son and a daughter, you will prefer one over the other.

18. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

But surely that's not based purely on their gender?

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

No, but gender has a lot to do with personality. Compare your brothers to your sisters. Which one would you rather raise?

20. mike47 Banned Banned

When I was younger and much younger I mean, I wanted boys and only boys . Now I see that there is no difference between having boys or girls . From life experiences things show themselves not always as we think .
    Now I will be happy with a girl or a boy as long as they are healthy mentally and physically .

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Doesn't your daughter post here? I can't imagine a father telling his daughter he would have preferred a boy to her. :bugeye:

22. mike47 Banned Banned

Ahhhhhhhhh....!.
    I have no daughter for sure .

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

It was always a daughter for me

From the first time I ever imagined myself having kids, I imagined a daughter. I have no idea what I would do if I had a son. That is: All my presuppositions about the challenges I would face as a parent were oriented toward having a daughter. I would be running even more blind by a son than I am now.