Thinking inside a very small box

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by S.A.M., Nov 14, 2009.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Does anyone else get the feeling that the box inside which we have to think is getting smaller and smaller?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

explain please

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2009
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Reference: [thread]97557[/thread]

SAM's (still) whinging about being given a warning.

8. noodler Banned Banned

No, personally I find that once I consider the box, it seems to not actually exist after all.
    I like to think I can act like an unassuming, accepting sort when needed, but I know it isn't really true, although I have accepted that I need to act like I accept things...

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How does that work? You pretend to agree with stuff even though it makes no sense?

10. Gustav Banned Banned

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats my point exactly. Wtf is he so worked up about?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Gustav Banned Banned

sam
    i still see no relevance in your response to string's unreasonable demand
    i mean there really need not be since he is being idiotic but were you aiming for relevance?

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I was pointing out that one crazy loon is as good as any other. Although it was interesting to see the differences in responses when the friendly fire was from a Muslim.

14. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Absolutely. The lowest of the untouchables somewhere in India is free to believe in God, have His pictures at home, perform worship.
    But I, living in the big free civilized West may not.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Actually even the untouchables are not, but I understand why you think you should be. I get the feeling that there is a lot of small print in society, no matter who puts themselves in charge.

Meanwhile James has moved this from SFOG and it is meant to be about the box of acceptable discourse on sciforums.

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Stop thinking inside boxes, then.

17. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

Are you alluding to conformity of thought, or lack of critical thinking when you say the box is getting smaller?

18. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Even they are not? So much for that dream ...

Yes. Actually, on of the recent threads by Psychotic Episode made me realize how the struggle for survival goes on on the mental level as much as it does on the physical level - but how it can be so easy to forget this.

The relative absence of immediate physical threat may make us conclude that we're safe and worthy and that nobody is there to attack us or to feed off of us mentally/psychologically/emotionally.

I think we are generally socially trained to be blind to the "mental" warfare, the "immaterial" struggle for survival that goes on all the time, and that we are socially trained to underestimate it. Which is why many people so easily fall prey to it.

I gathered that, although I came in late.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Is there a difference? If we're all forced to toe an imaginary line with ever constricting parameters, then where is the challenge?

The idea is not to reduce it to a line [i.e. 2D from 3D]

But thats always been true. Everything is a normal distribution and where you fall when not in the region of acceptable discourse [i.e. woo woo or eccentric/problem] is only semantics

20. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

... and receiving warnings ...

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats par for the course. If they don't understand, they want to control

22. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Well SAM... as far as discuss groops go... i dont get my pantys in a bunch dew to what somone says or how they espress themselfs... even if i thank ther rong an biased an have an agenda... especialy sinse i thank everone is rong an biased an has an "agenda" at times... lol... but its the owners of the "box" who determins its size... an discussin that issue is perty much considered "whinging" by the powers that be... an the punishment for "rong-thout" is a smaller box from which to "whing"

A-Man.TTT

23. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Not necessarily. It is their turf, they already are in control.