E-mail Protocol

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by CheskiChips, Nov 13, 2009.

1. CheskiChips Banned Banned

When is it appropriate to use Carbon Copy instead of adding another individual to the "TO" list. When is it conventionally accepted to send it as a BCC? Does anyone know the standard etiquette for this?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mike47 Banned Banned

I never think about etiquettes as I live my life the way I want and not the way others dictate my life . I think etiquettes are something of the snobs who think everything has rules in life . You do not need rules how to walk so you do not need rules how to write your emails .

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I follow this procedure:

To: The people who will use the information, or have to take certain action.
    CC: People who need to be aware of the correspondence to stay in the loop.
    BCC: Never use it unless you want it to come back and bite you in the ass

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

"to" and cc appear to be identical. the headers will indicate all email addresses inputted.
    bcc is blind cc and headers will not include email address inputted in this field. the bcc recipient remains invisible to other recipients included in the cc and "to" fields

i am not sure why there is a redundancy of tasks with the inclusion of both cc and "to" but perhaps the ability to input multiple recipients in the "to" field, (separation by a comma) came at a later date and cc is merely an artifact

hmm
    perhaps it is the other way around?

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I bcc everyone because I don't want others having access to their email address

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Read my response and try to understand. It isn't difficult. The distinction facilitates efficient processing of email. If you are a 'to' recipient you are expected to take some kind of action, or to make direct use of the information. If you are a 'cc' no action is expected.

10. Gustav Banned Banned

i did know that but i can see my post does not indicate that it was the case.
    what i do not know are the circumstances you allege will happen with the use of bcc. perhaps you can indulge with a scenario?

looking back at the op now, i can see you provided the correct response

/kowtow

11. Gustav Banned Banned

ahh
    i get it
    if you bcc someone, you probably should have not sent it in the first place
    you are up to no good

?

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not necessarily. I frequently bcc important emails to my duplicate email addresses, this is following a bad experience with a mail server where my emails were erased when I did not log in for a couple of months [old times]. Bcc is also useful when you are sending out emails and do not want to give out the email addys of the people you are sending them to, e.g. when you are ordering stuff for the lab and want to keep your committee and lab technician in the loop, without sending all their email addresses to the company you are ordering from.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  13. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I note Sam's example of bcc use are valid. The problem with bcc for internal emails is that you are concealing from your primary contacts (the to's and the cc's) that someone else is in the loop. If this later emerges then, office politics being what they are, someone takes offense. If they are above you in the food chain that's bad news. If they are equivalent or lower they will possibly 'retaliate' with non-cooperation. It has never happened to me, but I've had to defuse a few situations where it has occurred with colleagues.