How do you win a marathon?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by MacGyver1968, Nov 12, 2009.

1. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

No...this thread is not for me...I only run when chased. It's for my bud Draq, who is planning on competing in his first marathon in a month or so. I want him to do well, so I thought I'd start this thread, so that anyone who is knowledgeable, could give him some training hints for this last month of training.

I did a little Google-fu, and found out the biggest obstacle Draq faces is "Hitting the wall". From what I read, our liver and muscles turn carbs into glycogen, which we use as fuel. Even with "carb loading" our bodies can only store enough glycogen to run for 18-20m/29-32km. After that the body starts burning fat for energy. This is why the marathon is one of the only sporting events that you actually have to eat while competing. From what I read, what you eat, and how much you eat can help with getting past the wall. The amount of water you drink is important too....to little, you dehydrate, to much and you lose to much salt.

So if there's anyone out there with some long distance running experience that would like to share some of their expertise, it would be greatly appreciated.
    A few questions:

-With a month to go, how long of a distance and how often should you be training?

-What kind of foods provide the best source of energy during the race?...and how often and how much should you eat?

-How much and how often should you drink?..are salt pills a good idea?

-I've heard blisters and chaffing can be a problem in a long distance run..what measures should one take to prevent this? Do you need to lube your butt cheeks? (hehe..I got to say lube your butt cheeks in a semi-science thread

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) or use tape or talcum power in certain regions?

-Pacing yourself is important...any advise on this?

I just want Draq to do well. I, personally am in very poor cardiovascular health, and couldn't walk up a few flights of stairs without getting winded...so I am living vicariously through him.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Plus..who knows..we might learn something.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

www.runtheplanet.com

Trim your toenails - Don't do it the morning of a race, when a too-short cut could prompt bleeding during the race. An improperly trimmed toenail can catch part of a sock or push against the front of running shoes and prompt blisters.

Prepare your running clothes - Check the weather report and act accordingly. In the winter months, dress in light layers and use older, easily discardable running clothes. In warm weather, shorts and a singlet will be sufficient.

Check your running shoes - Is there any debris stuck in the soles? Are the laces still wearing well and not frayed? (Imagine running a race with an untied shoe, if the lace broke?)

Drink plenty of water the day before the race - One good guideline is to drink enough so you need to urinate before you go to bed and perhaps once during the night.

On race morning, do the following:

Use a lubricant product like petroleum jelly and cover body areas susceptible to chafing.

Eat a light meal, no sooner than an hour prior to the race. Toast, bagels, water and non-acidic fruit like bananas are popular choices. Avoid dairy products, fried foods or anything you are not accustomed to eating at breakfast.

Make sure you have secured your race number according to race rules. Make sure if you are using safely pins not to have metal expose to your skin. One good way to attach a race number is to make a 1 1/2-inch horizontal fold and tuck that portion of the number under the center of the waistband of your shorts. Secure it with two or three safety pins.

Carry a water bottle on way to the race and drink the entire bottle before the race starts. Use the restroom facilities as soon as you arrive at the race start to avoid the last-minute rush and long lines.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

Thank you for this thread =)

I usually eat fat-free yogurt 1 hour before I start jogging. Last night I forgot water and on 18th km was really dehydrated so I had to stop. Did 18km in 1:30hr, was not pushing myself.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

You know I heard that "avoid eating dairy foods" thing and I just dont get why they say that...I been eating yogurt all along and it goes just fine.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think they mean 'in general'
    Apparently most people have issues.