Passing Lane verse's Fast Lane

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Grim_Reaper, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Ok so I dont HI jack some one elses thread I created this one. As far as i know In North America on multi lane Highways the lane/lanes to the left ar supposed to be used for passing only all Traffic unless other wise posted is supposed to stay to the right All the time the only exception I know of is a Truck lane. And that lane is only to be used for exit from the highway on exit ramps. The speed limit in the left lanes is no different then the right lane again uless it is posted that a safe Truck speed is one and a safe car speed is another. If I am wrong please advise me of this.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

it isnt an official law. the leftmost lane is theoretically for diving fast or passing.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Arrrg. You had to bring this up.

As far as I know, what you describe is correct.
    I do know for a fact, that this is correct in Canada. However, based on my observations of Americans driving here, they have no clue whatsoever about this rule. Every single day on my drive I have to navigate around cars from NY, Michigan and Ohio that are 'camping' in the middle lane. What's worse, they're driving ridiculously slow (c.100kph)...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

it is here. You can get a ticket for driving in the passing lane if there is no one to pass. Is illegal in other states as well

Kansas

8. John99 Banned Banned

glaucon,

that is because the middle lane is NOT designated as the passing lane in u.s. and why would it be? there only needs to be one passing lane.

9. John99 Banned Banned

interesting.

10. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Does it matter? It's not like the police bother to enforce it anyway. Not when it's far easier to sit on ones fat ass eating donuts and "catching" people for speeding.

Definition of catching - Something the police do without moving and without effort, using the wonders of technology. Actual policemen often unnecessary.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

they do with people driving larger vehicles, like truckers, RVers, etc

12. John99 Banned Banned

excuse me, what is the difference if the stop you for speeding or for driving in the 'fast lane'?

granted it would be much more difficult to win if the ticjeted person fought the ticket.

13. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Really? You must have better cops than us. Ours don't do shit. They do however catch a lot of people speeding and by scanning car number plates to check for insurance violations and such.

14. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

In the UK it is highly unlikely you will be "stopped" for anything other than driving an obviously hazardous vehicle, suspicion of being under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or insurance violations(they use camaras and scan number plates while driving along).
    I've never seen a tailgater pulled for example, even some dangerous driving gets let go. Hell half the time the police will drive straight past anyone breaking the law if it isn't worth the effort to stop them.
    As for speeding, they hardly ever patrol, prefering to sit on bridges, behind trees etc and catch you with a speed gun/camara. Heaven forbid they actually move to STOP someone speeding no no no, that would involve work. Instead they just send you a ticket in the post. Bit late if the accident already happened though isn't it?
    Also which is more dangerous; speeding but leaving enough space between you and the car infront to stop safely OR tailgating but being under the speed limit?
    Simple common sense could come in handy sometimes.

15. John99 Banned Banned

speeding is more dangerous.

16. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Reasoning?

17. John99 Banned Banned

chances of injury increase with speed. i think tailgating is stupid but if it is 30mp or below then i cant see serious injuries happening.

18. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

You have to hit something first. You may want to read my statement again.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

If you drive on the other side of the highway I find people are anxious to get out of your way and it gives you something to talk about at the water cooler.

20. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

John 99 There is no Fast lane that is the whole and sole point of this thread is to point that out. There is a passing lane that is to be used when you encounter a slower moving vehicle and by that it is under the posted speed limit for that given vehicle. I dont know where the term fast lane come from as it is not a lane with a higher speed limit that I know of. And I have driven all across Canada and Several States and it is pretty much the same every where. The speed limit may change from Province to province or State to State but never have I seen a fast lane.

21. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Including New Jersey.
    John, why do you always state your own baseless speculation and opinion as if it were fact? It's very irritating.

22. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

There isn't an official "fast lane" but the tendency is for slower drivers to keep right (it is also law in some places for slower drivers to keep right, or yield to faster drivers).
    It just makes sense. In most places, highway exits are on the right, so the traffic tends to be impeded on the right. If you are part of "through traffic", it makes more sense to not stay in the lane with the exits - so you stay to the left.
    It is also called the "fast lane", because in most places you are required to pass on the left - and passing traffic moves faster.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That is illegal where I live. You are supposed to keep right as much as possible.
    The fine for unnecessarily keeping left on a highway is €90.- and on roads other than a highway the fine is €150.-