I think theists are insane...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by S.A.M., Nov 4, 2009.

?

Theists are insane (we don't need science to tell us this)

1. Yes

28.6%
  2. No

57.1%
  3. Don't know/No opinion/don't want to express my opinion on this.

42.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

...but I am not required to provide evidence of the same.

Is this a scientifically accurate statement?

Do the scientists, rationalists and philosophers here agree with it?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Where are all the believers in the insanity of theism?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

<crickets>

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I voted both options.

Obviously, "theists" form a wide church (get it?). Some of them are undoubtedly insane. Others are quite "normal" according to many psychological measures.

Which do you think you are, SAM?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

So, since you voted, this means you agree that

"Theists are insane (we don't need science to tell us this)"

-?

8. Gustav Banned Banned

i vote no because the notion is mind numbingly retarded. besides i prefer to give all the benefit of the doubt
    furthermore there is the piddling fact that i am not really qualified to give anyone a psych eval

string put it quite nicely............

ja
    insecurities, social conformity, whatnot
    none of which really adds up to a strict def of insanity.
    i'd say anyone harping on this insanity shit is simply trolling

9. Gustav Banned Banned

strict def my ass....

In the last third of the 19th century in both the United States and Great Britain, the word insanity was still used with great abandon by a wide array of figures, but it was increasingly hemmed in and modified by an ever more dense thicket of adjectives and modifiers such as adolescent, circular, climacteric, degenerative, homicidal, impulsive, puerperal, religious, moral, and delusional.35,36 It was also smack in the middle of one of the nastiest and most public debates about a medical concept that has occurred in the Anglo-American world, with the possible exception of the 20th century debate over homosexuality.

"What’s in a Name?": A Brief Foray into the History of Insanity in England and the United States

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Perhaps in the interest of society, all theists should voluntarily abstain from participating in it. Isolate themselves?

How would that work, you think? Could the atheists manage it?

11. Gustav Banned Banned

what interests would that be?

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Sure. Some of them.

It follows directly from "(Some) People are insane. We don't need science to tell us this."

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Who knows? There's never been an atheist utopia but we imagine it must be worth the wait.

14. draqon Banned Banned

I think insanity is undefinable from any single perspective. From schizophrenics POV in asylum the doctors are insane, from doctors POV the schizophrenics are insane. From theists POV the atheists are insane, from atheist POV the theist are insane. Who is insane than if insanity is akin to perception.

15. draqon Banned Banned

reincarnation is utopia. Some can't paint life the colors that would suit their utopian wishes, and instead exist in dark colors.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well if all the smart people collectively agree that blacks are dumb theists are insane, its clear that they are. Just see how well the Aryan atheist nations function.

Scientific consensus is more valid than belief.

17. draqon Banned Banned

And if there exists one smart person in all those collective number of smart people who does not agree that blacks are dumb, than those collection of smart people are actually quite dumb themselves.

Or...perhaps the one who disagreed with them was dumb. Majority rules the smart decision on whether blacks are dumb or not, and do majority of governments support ideology that blacks are dumb? No they do not. So are those governments dumb, too? Should we go back and reverse ourselves to age of slave, now that we discovered how stupid those governments are thinking blacks are not dumb? well...

18. draqon Banned Banned

Scientific consensus is only valid with correct belief.

courtesy of quantum world rules, a quantum particle exists only from a correct perspective.

19. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

So there are claims which do not need to be supported scientifically?

"Some dogs are eucalyptuses. We don't need science to tell us this."

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Note that I have not said "some"

You can instead compare it with

I think atheists are mentally retarded [we don't need science to tell us that]

or

I think gays are morally compromised [we don't need science to tell us that]

But you'll be hard put to hear a kudos! on that from the admin or mods. Which is the difference here.

21. Gustav Banned Banned

i think occam would approve if i were to postulate hucksterism rather than some nebulous psychosis as the impetus for some people's theistic beliefs.

"i have sinned against you, my lord,"? yeah. the pope? yeah. moh? yeah. haggard? yeah

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think you'll find Occam excluded religious beliefs from his razor, being a deluded and possibly insane theist (not to mention a Franciscan monk).

23. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Oh dear. Even I forgot to see the obvious ...

Occham's Razor, the oh so beloved tool of the scientists and atheists ... is named after and was developed by a theist!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.