Something old, Something new

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by S.A.M., Nov 3, 2009.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Since we now have a nature lover as a moderator here, lets try something new

This is a thread to talk about strange local flora and fauna and your personal experiences with them

Today, my aunt got me two kaveet; some google hunting revealed that is a medicinal plant found in some dry regions of South East Asia.

Botanical Name Limonia acidissima L.
    Family RUTACEAE
    Habit Tree
    Used In Ayurveda

At home it is traditionally prepared by cracking open the hard shell of the fruit, scooping out the inner crunchy, astringent and sour seeds and mixing it with jaggery to form a delightful sweet sour astringent snack

Here's what I did with the kaveet today:

1. Cracked it open:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Scooped out the innards, mashed it with jaggery

3. Served it chilled

Yummy!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

like most of us surely will find this kaveet selling in a local supermarket here....sure...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why not? Its a small world now.

Look for elephant apple or wood apple.

By itself its not much to write home about, but if you do find it, try munching it my way

Got any stories to tell?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

Well I am a Durian lover...frozen prepacked pieces of durian fruit in a bag, unpack and eat them while its frozen before it stinks.

8. draqon Banned Banned

I ate this delicious cactus jam down in Texas, real yummy.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Very nice thread SAM

That looks like a fruit of which I forgot the name. I saw it on Discovery Channel once, I think it was from Africa or Australia.
    Anyway, they said it was absolutely loaded with vitamin C and tasted rather dry and sour.
    I'm wondering if it might be the same fruit..

We don't have special species though.. not that I know of anyway.
    Here's something anyway:

As a kid I sometimes gathered elderberries to make elderberry jam, which was kinda good.
    Interestingly, it has been shown in recent studies that elderberry extract is effective against influenza A and B.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

SAM, something interesting about your fruit (I'm sure you already knew, but it was missing from the op

). It is actually a member of the Citrus family.
    I hardly know any Latin, but I'd say the Latin name of the fruit (Limonia acidissima) could mean 'sour lemon'. As lemons are already pretty sour I'd say that, if I'm right, Limonia acidissima must be incredibly sour.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yes it is very very sour, you'd be hard pressed to eat it without the jaggery.

I've never seen or tasted an elderberry. What is it like?

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It's hard to describe. And I haven't eaten it in a very long time.. so.
    But I guess the taste is vaguely reminiscent of that of Blackberries. Maybe they are a bit more bitter and less sweet.
    I never ate them as berries though, only as jam (with sugar of course). Also, you don't want to eat any unripe berries, they are toxic.

13. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Boysenberries are probably my favorite berry:

Aside from, perhaps, Wild Huckleberries:

Which, from what I am told, nobody has yet to figure out how to cultivate them. They die when transplanted. I can't confirm that, but it is what I was told.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Are boysenberries the same as blackberries?

Are wild huckleberries different from blueberries?

I've tasted blackberries and blueberries in the US. But if they are not the same then I haven't tasted the ones you pictured.

16. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

No. They taste kind of alike a cross between blackberries and blueberries.

Very different. Very sweet.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Apparently so.. but I suspect that they are very closely related, as their geneses overlap.

"In taste the berries range from tart to sweet, with a flavor similar to that of a blueberry, especially in blue- and purple-colored varieties."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huckleberry

Wild Huckleberries:
    Huckleberry is a name used in North America for several plants in two closely related genera in the family Ericaceae: Gaylussacia and Vaccinium.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huckleberry

Blueberries:
    Blueberries are flowering plants of the genus Vaccinium with dark-blue berries.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueberry

18. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Here in North Texas, we have many pecan trees. With all the rain we've had, it's been a good year for them, and me and squirrels are expecting a bumper crop.

With them, you can make one of my favorite things...pecan pie!

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

elderberries are awesome! I love elderberry pie.

We used to go pick chokecheeries when I was a kid. My Mom canned jar after jar of chokecherry jelly. If it didn't set, we had jar after jar of chokecherry syrup for pancakes. We picked A LOT of them. They taste bad right off the shrub unless you pick a very very dark one.

We also picked wild strawberries, gooseberries, buffalo berries (SOUR!!!), crab apples, wild rhubarb, wild asparagus (which we still pick here in MI), wild onion (mostly so the cows wouldn't eat it), and something my Mom called Indian tea. It was the Greenthread plant she dried and then boiled for tea. We only got that when we went to visit family in New Mexico.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Orleander, what would you say they taste like?

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

chokecherries where like biting into a banana peel or eating chalk. It just made your mouth dry and it was bitter. Its why my Mom got so many of them. It was one berry us kids weren't going to eat while picking. Gooseberries and wild strawberries never made it home.

22. kira Valued Senior Member

What an interesting thread, SAM! I don't even know where to begin :runaway:

Ok, may I introduce you to Musang Luwak (Asian Palm Civet, Paradoxurus hermaphroditus) and Kopi Luwak (Luwak Coffee):

musang luwak eating luwak coffee berries

Luwak coffee is the most expensive coffee I have ever drink. It is indeed said as the most expensive coffee in the world. In Indonesia, the coffee cost about 75 USD/kg, but in international coffee shops, you will find it above 30 USD/cup!

What makes it expensive is not only the special aroma (ummmhh.. I cannot describe it!!), but also the rarity.. this coffee is basically the "feces" of the musang luwak (see pictures above):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Kopi Luak or Civet coffee is coffee made from coffee berries which have been eaten by and passed through the digestive tract of the Asian Palm Civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus) and other related civets. The civets eat the berries, but the beans inside pass through their system undigested. This process takes place on the islands of Sumatra, Java, Bali and Sulawesi in the Indonesian Archipelago, in the Philippines (where the product is called Motit Coffee in the Cordillera, or Kape Alamid in Tagalog areas) and in East Timor (locally called kafé-laku). Local lore in Vietnam has given the name "weasel coffee" to civet coffee, in what is considered the closest recognizable translation to English.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------​

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hi kira! I'm glad you like the thread

Do let me know if anything I post looks familiar to you!

Today is miniature day.

This is what we are making in lunch

Top: native cauliflower [Brassica oleracea], green eggplant [Solanum melongena variety]

The caulifower is tiny, about three inches across the top, the green eggplant is sweeter than the purple ones

Bottom: Baby fenugreek [barik methi]
    This is a form of fenugreek grown entirely in sand, to restrict its development, Its about 7 inches from end to end and is crunchy and less bitter than regular fenugreek

The fenugreek goes very well with kardi, a kind of baby prawn [ Penaeus, Metapenaeus, Parapenaeopsis sp. ] which is very tender and mega yumms!!!

Here is what we got for 50 cents [yes, 50 cents!] The veggies above all came for less than 50 cents as well, the baby fenugreek being a dozen bunches for 10 cents.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009