Carving Pumpkins. . .

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by superstring01, Oct 30, 2009.

1. superstring01 Moderator

One of the few semi-religious acts I ever commit, I carved several pumpkins this year. The first two are generally atrocious (they're for practic). The last two or three usually turn out quite interestingly.

I know this is an American/Canadian/quasi-British thing, but when I lived in Spain I noticed that the carving-pumpkin-part was sorta catching on.

Anywhere else?

~String

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

It's getting bigger over here, ... I guess a product globalisation, we've adopted it more. Halloween was always a big event when I was a kid, but pumpkins just weren't grown where I lived, so we used Swedes to make small lanterns from instead.

I've since embraced the pumpkin, and even made a pumpkin head outfit I have worn for several halloween parties;

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1032043&l=6638918f2a&id=533047900

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Every once in a while I see that people have put a carved pumpkin in their yard, but mostly it's just pumpkins. I think maybe 1 in 50-100 puts pumpkins in their yard around this time, a tiny fraction of those carves it.
    Halloween itself is catching on more and more though.

You painted it as well?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

These are the first two of year's carvings. The heartagram was carved by my boyfriend. Mine was a rather rushed attempt (the first one is usually my warming up Jack). I usually break out the Dremel and go to town, but I wasn't feeling up to it and just dallied with a small knife.

I'll upload a picture of the others I carved, later.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

~String

8. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

I carved one giving people the finger one year and I did not get as many candy seekers as I might have expected.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Looks nice, String. And like fun. Maybe I should try it next year

I was thinking of getting into woodcarving just yesterday. So I might get some practice

10. Ahem embrace simplicity Registered Senior Member

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

actually string its apearing in Australia. Halloween was never big in Australia, actually it used to be so tiny that only US ect ex pats would cellibrate it (i think Aussie Rules football was bigger in the US than Halloween was in Australia) but recently its become a bigger thing. Anyway for the first time this year i actually saw US pumkins (sorry dont know there real name, only know queensland blues, Jap and butternut pumkins) on sale in woolworths.

12. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

that wasw my pumpkin last year..this yeat its simple.. I will take a pic tonight when ig et around to it hahhaa..kept forgetting all week

13. Ahem embrace simplicity Registered Senior Member

Sponge Bob. That's so cute!
    Today, the Google logo will give you candy when you "click or treat". May be for Goggle America only. http://www.google.com

Images of creative pumkin carving. link
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCQQsAQwAw

14. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

this year its just a face hahaa... i didnt wanna deal with all the detail crap. been a highly annoying week. and my daughter is ready for a nap and its just 11am.... i will get a pic of my pumpkin lit up tonight and let you all see it

15. Ahem embrace simplicity Registered Senior Member

When my kids were growing up, we would each carve a pumpkin. I thought it was fun. I will look forward to your photo

16. superstring01 Moderator

Aussie Rules football is growing in popularity here. Funny thing, I hate American football with a PASSION. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. I especially hate how every frakking person in this country just assumes that everybody else loves it and strike up conversations about it at random whenever they are making smalltalk. "Say, how about that Josh Cribbs*, boy can he run! I just can't believe he dropped the ball!" Sometimes I'm forced to fake interest, but when not, I can get away with saying, "Sorry, I hate American football." The fact that I say "American" usually makes them wonder, "What other kind of football is there?" And the conversation ends.

Aussie rules football, I don't get, but is enjoyable. It actually FLOWS. The action doesn't stop every three and a half seconds for pissy little boys to pretend to be hurt and for coaches to huddle and plan.

Note: We call the carved pumpkin a "Jack-o'-lantern."

Great carving!

~String

rich and famous usually are NONE of those things.

17. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

my daughter is still to young to be trusted with a knife.. hahhaa

18. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

this years pumpkin....very simple.... its not as crisp as it should be.. i did carve it monday... hahhaa... we are still waiting on trick or treaters, and its 7pm.... nothin!!! chy is to sick to take out, so she gets to feed off the left over candys haha

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

BEST CARVING EVER!!!!! I don't have that kind of patience

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

anyone here save the pumpkin seeds and roast them?

21. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

it took maybe an hr or 2, with lots of breaks.. haha

22. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Nope, I had 2 carved in about 45 minutes. eyes, nose, mouth, that's it.