Aging

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Mickmeister, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

My wife is turning 38 next month. She has started freaking out. In fact, she is now having panic attacks over it. She is getting more afraid of dying and doing more dangerous stuff. We were talking about it two nights ago and I just don't get it. I tried to explain to her that it should mean just the opposite. We should be taking more risks now and living a fuller, more adventurous lives, than ever because in 14 months, we will begin having less days ahead than behind, statistically speaking. At that point, if you die, it isn't as much of a loss than if you died at say 19.5 years old, in which 1/4 of the lifespan has been completed. Of course, it is different if minor children are involved, but if there are adult children, then what is the real hold back for most? Why do people become more scared as they age? The way I see it, it's all about numbers.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Because it is closer, and therefore more real, I suppose.
    If you are nervous about something... say, public speaking, the closer you get to actually going on stage, the more nervous you get.

When you are 17, you feel immortal - the older you get, the more evident death is because you feel the effects of aging.

This is my guess, anyway. I can't relate to people who fear death - I just don't understand it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

you also dont recover as easily from injuries...the older you get that is.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I can't either. She and I are about the same age, but I still stunt on crotch rockets, sky dive, and such, yet I see so many the same age who are in the same mindset as her. I just don't get it. Aging makes me want to do even more and be even more of an adrenaline junkie!

8. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Maybe try talking to her about what regrets she might have on her deathbed about what she had not done?
    I don't know.
    Maybe your adrenaline junkie ways makes it worse for her?
    She really needs to get to the bottom of WHY she has this fear before she can get past it.

9. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

i am looking forward to my older years, even tho I comlaine that I am soon to be another year older.. you have more storys to tell, thought of grand children and great grand children.. soon retirement where you can go and travel the world if need be! you get more freedom the older you get..or you just learn how to time manage better... start a need for adventure!

10. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Aging is overrated.

11. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Maybe it's like one of those short bursts of clarity when reality hits you and then your upset for a little while and then the feeling goes away. Like when I think about how my dog probably won't be alive much longer, but then I play with him and forget about it.

12. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Many people fear aging, especially women, not because they fear death, but because in todays youth-obsessed culture and society, people fear they will lose their usefullness and importance as they get older.

In America, people are so focused on being young, staying young, that getting older can be terrifying. For women it can be especially difficult because they may fear of being replaced with a younger woman or that they need to get plastic surgery and all that crap.

I'm not saying everything thinks this way, but I do believe this may be a possibility for some of her fears.

13. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I love this and I agree. Everything is in flux... being built, destroyed, built, etc. Everyone here is going to die. Earth is going to die and so it the universe. Nothing will live forever. With the passage of time the body dies... but if your brain is still operating, fucking to something with it. Don't waste the oxygen in our collective air worrying about death.

Of course, this is coming from a 25 year old. What can a 25 year old tell an older adult that is statistically closer to death...

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Perhaps you should demonstrate how the days ahead will still be good rather than just say it.

15. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

I've posted this probably a billion times on here. I don't understand the fear of death. It's going to happen sooner or later no matter what you do.

I believe the key to accepting death is accepting life. Live your life with no regrets. Accept and learn from your mistakes. And try to be the best person you can along the way. That way, when you do get close to death, you can look back and say, "Holy shit, that was one hell of a roller coaster!"

16. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

17. kira Valued Senior Member

This is something normal, it happens to many women despite of age. At age 18 or so, I started to consume Nature-E (but not anymore), which is an anti-aging multivitamin

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. COmpletely normal. Just say the positive aspect of her appearance (but be honest), she will stop worrying.

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

By whom?

19. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

And you don't think you'd be disturbed at all by the fact that "one hell of a roller coaster was almost over?" I had a sudden near death experience, and while I wasn't really afraid of dying, I can't say I was happy about it either I really didn't want my life to be over. Even though I didn't think I had regrets I was wrong. People say they have no regrets, but I'm not sure it's possible to live 100% regret free.

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

the young

21. kira Valued Senior Member

Here is tips for everyone:
    - if you are a woman: understand your man, don't try to love him!
    - if you are a man: love your woman, don't try to understand her!

22. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I like that!

23. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I'm sure it is.