Literature and rape

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Absane, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Literature is prostitution. Does that mean visual media is rape?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Can you expand on that first sentence a bit, please.

Do you mean the writer is prostituing himherself?

Why isnt literature also rape? Certainly many novelists wereare aiming at groups and even specific individuals?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

No, the literature itself is a prostitute. Whether she is a book, paper, post-it note, whatever... she is begging to get read, to be bought, to be ingested. Go to Barnes & Noble or any popular bookstore in your area and you'll see this. There are thousands of books... but which one do you read? Which one do you take home with you?

Literature isn't rape because it doesn't force you to ingest anything. The cover conceals the text. You can look at it and decide not to take a part in its text adventure.

Visual media is rape because it forces itself into your attention span. Yes, you can sometimes escape it by pure will power.

But, whatever... just a random thought I had yesterday.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Interesting thought...

8. John99 Banned Banned

Are you having sex with these books?

9. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

You can look away from visual media if you want to.

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

On average, an American sees approximately 3,000 advertisements a day. You'd get whiplash.

11. John99 Banned Banned

that number seems off by a few thousand.

12. Doreen Valued Senior Member

The smart ones, often with a sense of humor. Someone I can spend time with, certain sensuality can play a role, but also intelligent back and forth, companionship, someone who can inform me. Someone I treat gently and with care for decades. A partner. Prositutes are generally sent off (or send off) after about half an hour, or?

Words go right into the body via the eyes and often stay in your body until you are dead. Even rapists pull out.

I am not sure how this makes them prositutes. I mean, we all tend to cover our texts, especially in bookstores and the like.

This one works for me better. I do think we are being raped. Only we give our consent because we don't want to notice it is rape. This can happen in relationships. The man, and I suppose some women too, can be treating the other as meat and their whole energy is hateful. Legally it is not rape since there is consent. But what is happening is the same. Sometimes people wake up and realize it has been rape all along. Yes, I think the visual media is like this.

Well at least is was a new one and not some rehashing of old thoughts like in most threads.

13. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

This post is the weirdest I've seen

14. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

And yet... interesting.

15. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Doreen.... thank you for your interest in my idea. I wish I had the desire to continue on with it, but... eh. I'm not fully sure what I really meant by it but I do have a faint idea. The motivation is lacking on my end to clarify the thought.

Back in the day, you used to post a lot of weird things. I'm not sure if you still do because I don't come around much anymore.

The generation of new ideas tends to happen when I get back into the habit of reading. This one came about when I was reading a philosophy book... not sure which one. It was on the same self you'd find works by Nietzsche.

16. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Ah. Yes, I immediately thought of Derrida, or at least some kind of post structuralist existentialist writer...

17. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I was thinking Lacan and Bataille, though please let's not get into eyeballs.

18. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

lol

Nice.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Most of my books are begging to be shelved. Are they conservative?

20. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I think that makes them flaming liberals.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

One of my favorite books!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So... More of a Geisha or consort, then?

22. takethewarhome midnatt klarhet Registered Senior Member

Literature a brazen harlot? No.
    You're personifying something far beyond it's means.

And if literature is a whore: What're you paying it, and where does literature put the money? In it's book thong?

23. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I think far too many people are missing the point. It's my fault, because I was to vague... opening doors to various interpretation.

Don't take it literally like you have with assuming I am personifying literature and visual media. I was simply trying to point out the similarities in outward appearance and motivation.

Please don't have sex with books or brochures. And don't let the remote control somehow find its way up you ass.