How to find good quality loud speakers.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lixluke, Oct 27, 2009.

1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

How do you measure how loud speakers can go and how good the sound quality? Is it watts? What about the source? Does the audio interface that the speakers are connected to need to have certain specifications?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

best thing is to determine the max wattage of your amp and select the wattage accordingly.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I found this set:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882105347

I don't know how long it's going to take me to save up that much money. But it says that it comes with 2 150W speakers and 1 150W subwoofer. Is that loud enough? Is there a set with amp, 2 speakers, and subwoofer that can go really loud for cheaper than $300?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Loud enough for what making your ears bleed not likely what are you going to use this for if in a small room that would likely be sufficient. If in a Large Hall then probably not so much.

8. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

For a dance room 30ft x 30ft.
    Here is another one that is for $200.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665769556

It has 2 190W speakers. And 150W subwoofer. I just don't know how loud it can go though. Not to mention I don't need all that extracurricular BS. I just need an interface that can connect the 3 speakers. Possibly a microphone. All the radio, CD, and other stuff isn't necessary. Is it better if I get some sort of mixer or some audio interface? Then just find some separate speakers to connect to it?

9. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

I would say yes that would be a good system for that however remember that the closer to the Full volume threshold you run the system the less clear the sound will be on that system. If this is for commercial use you may want to get a commercial mixer and amp. As well as commercial speakers. But I am going to guess that this is for personal use in a home type setting and would say yes this will do fine. The best way to determine if it give the quality you want is to take your music style to the store and test it out they will be glad to allow you to do this I am sure.

10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

11. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

12. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

OK so I went to the store, and tested out 2 Sony systems. The one for $200 has 2 speakers (190W each). Plus the 150W subwoofer.

The other one has only 2 speakers 280W each.

The first one wasn't really loud while the second one got tremendously louder than the first. I gues that having a subwoofer doesn't add much to the loudness. I estimate that I would need my main speakers to be 220W or above. Subwoofer probably woudn't be necessary.

13. draqon Banned Banned

you do know...you may potentially damage your ears if you listen to much to loud music.

14. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

what i did not hear you i was listening to loud music.....

15. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

And a sub is mostly used for low Freq sounds anyway like Bass.

16. draqon Banned Banned

*apparently it makes one blind too*

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Luke,

What are you going to be using the system for? If this is for a dance floor in a club or something, it usually requires more than just a home stereo to pump that level of sound. Clubs use multiple rack mounted amplifiers that easily put out 1000 watts or more for just one amp.

If I remember from my car stereo days, in order to double the volume of sound, you need a 10 fold increase in power. (watts)

18. John99 Banned Banned

sound quality is better than wattage.

19. John99 Banned Banned

the speakers push the air. you get you speaker wattage closer to power am wattage for speaker breakup. less speaker breakup and get higher wattage speker.

20. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I played the Sony system at Best Buy. It was 2 speakers at 280W each. And it was more than loud enough. So I figured anything with 2 speakers @ 220W or above each would do fine for the dance room.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  21. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I found these speakers that don't need to connect to any amplifier. But they're way damn expensive. $180 each. $360 for the pair.
    http://www.behringer.de/EN/Products/B208D.aspx

I'm not even sure how loud they get. The information about Watts is confusing. And also, somebody told me that I can't run them at full wattage because they might blow. Does that go the same for the Sony system I tested out at Best Buy? Those speakers were 280W each, and I played them at full volume while at the store.

Oh ya. It doesn't come with cables, so I decided to get 10ft ones. $7.89 each:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CSS510/

$363.76 total. That will take like a year to save up.