Find me marathon to run in december

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by draqon, Oct 27, 2009.

1. draqon Banned Banned

Hey so my latest (as of 6 months already) serious hobby is jogging and I really enjoy it and quite fast at it, so I figured why not try it at a marathon. But I need your help fellow sciforumers, because I am looking for a marathon that I can run in december and which has some prize money.

Basically I want to run a marathon that has to have these qualities:

1) located in any USA state
    2) offers prize money (whatever it is)
    3) is in december, 2009 (any day in December)

So will some good soul help me find a marathon with such qualities, pleaassse.

Whoever helps me find 2 or more marathons will automatically get 10% from that marathon prize purse if I win.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Why not just go for a charity one?
    Is it really that likely you'll win?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Because he then can't offer us 10% as an incentive to go look for marathons

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

Yes it is very likely I will win and also money is a great motivator for me.

8. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

A cut of the money eh.........I need a few stats

1. How tall are you?
    2. What's your current pace (example - 8:15)?
    3. What is your current diet?
    4. How much do you currently run (miles/kilometers) on a daily/weekly basis?
    5. How many smaller races have you recently run (example - 5k, 10k)
    6. How many Marathons have you run so far?
    7. Have you competed on the pro level?
    8. What's your current best finish time?

9. draqon Banned Banned

1. 6ft 2.5in
    2. 3min/km (yes no mistake here)
    3. lentil soup, berries (mixed frozen), carbs
    4. 60 miles
    5. 0
    6. 0
    7. no
    8. none yet

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

11. draqon Banned Banned

yeah but almost all of them are no-money no-prize. Just satisfaction sorta thing...

Anyways I settled on the California International Marathon 2009, I will sign-up for this one than.

12. John99 Banned Banned

you lost all that extra weight?

13. draqon Banned Banned

well this is me at Cascade mountains this fall:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  14. draqon Banned Banned

I need money, thats why.

15. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

So you've never run in a marathon before, but yet you believe on your first try, you can actually place high enough to win prize money? Dude...

16. John99 Banned Banned

wow. your focused. did your trainer take that pic?

17. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

So you could run a marathon at under 2 hours 5 minutes then?

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Wow really? You lost a lot of weight!

19. draqon Banned Banned

I ran very close to marathon time, I also got a watch Forerunner 305 GPS watch according to which I run 3min/km for 1.2hrs

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  20. draqon Banned Banned

correct. But not at current weight, I will need to loose a few more lbs.

21. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Draq, I'm not trying to piss in your wheaties, but does every plan you make have to be so far over the top? A few months ago, you wanted to lose weight...instead of following a reasonable plan...you go OTT at decided to starve yourself for a month...and the plan epic failed. From what I see in your lastest pic, you have managed to lose some weight...good for you.

I admire your desire to compete in a marathon. I don't think I could ever finish one. But, instead of making the reasonable goal to compete in some shorter length races first, then attempt to finish a marathon. You go straight for the OTT and want to compete against professionals for money, and actually believe that you stand a chance. If you are only doing this for the money, then there are alot easier ways to make an extra buck.

I'm not a runner...I only run when chased.

.... so your thread actually gave me the opportunity to do a little investigoogling and learn a few things. You were talking about running 3m/km. The dude that holds the world record for the marathon averaged just under 2:57m/km for the world record. From what I read, our bodies can only store enough carb-based energy in the form of glycogen to last for about 18-20 miles, after that your body starts running on body fat. They call it "hitting the wall". From what I understand, what happens after mile 20 really determines the race. I don't doubt with the right training, you could probably finish a marathon, and turn in a pretty respectable time for an amateur, but be reasonable with your expectations.

22. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Actually, to be honest Macgyver, this is one of those times that untested beliefs with big aspirations will do him a lot of good, and debunking him is a bad idea. Training and conditioning are important, but a huge part of it is mental. If he says he can win, then he needs to keep this in his head all the way to the start-line (and preferably throughout the race).
    So yeah - if Draq says he's a machine -- then damnit, he IS* a machine. He IS* going to win that marathon. So -- er -- ixnay on the ailfay

Draq- I expect my cut of the winnings by Jan 01 2010 (j/k).

*The term "is" is subject to change pending the usual terms and considerations

23. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

You're right...I like Draq, I consider him a friend. I just didn't want him to suffer any unnecessary disappointment. Confidence is great, and can help achieve greatness..but over-confidence can lead to disaster. I was just trying to suggest a more achievable goal. But fuck it...you go Draq! Prove me wrong and then come back here and rub my face in it!