Computer scientist rigs Xbox 360 to detect heart defects

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by sandy, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandy Banned Banned

Countless medical studies have concluded that playing too many video games can be harmful to one's health. Now, however, it turns out that one of the more popular video-game consoles on the market, the Xbox 360, could be used to save lives. A computer scientist in England has devised a way to use an Xbox 360 to detect heart defects and help prevent heart attacks.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1925332,00.html

Cool.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. flameofanor5 Not a cosmic killjoy Registered Senior Member

Leverage against my mother. Thanks! (Yes I still live with my mom, I'm in high school). Video games don't kill you (unless you have epilepsy). It's the lack of exercise; and a social life in general that does. Which is why I don't play my xbox 360 that often. I like this post Sandy, it causes much less controversy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sandy Banned Banned

Thanks, flamey. I liked it, too. Something on the lighter side. And a really good story.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's like, so interesting. Isn't science cool?!

8. flameofanor5 Not a cosmic killjoy Registered Senior Member

Yeap

9. sandy Banned Banned

lol spidey. You have to admit this is a good story, no?

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Did you know the Playstation is also one of the best blue-ray players you can buy?

11. flameofanor5 Not a cosmic killjoy Registered Senior Member

I'm not buying blue-ray DVDs till they drop more in price, too expensive for me.

12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

they also provide most of the processing power via folding at home in a disbrutive competing research into how protiens fold

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Interesting.

I used to work for a Health Care company that designed radiology viewing software. A techie radiologist managed to get Wii controllers to work for it to manipulate the contrast/numerous settings to check for various cancers/anomalies. Worked better than a mouse that's for sure.

14. sandy Banned Banned

Hi. Good to see you again.

Interesting post. So you guys were way ahead of this news story.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

very very interesting. My Mom worked in a hospital lab before retirement. I'm sure she would find this very interesting. Do you have any more info.

Thanks for the great post Nietz! :bravo:

16. sandy Banned Banned

I like that you guys bring a personal story to this. It's one thing to read it on the net but another to actually hear about someone who has firsthand experience. I would be interested in hearing more, too, Nietze.

17. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

18. sandy Banned Banned

19. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

'fraid not, I'm no radiologist. Young doctors like to play with that stuff and futz over controls and new features. I notice older radiologists will just use a keyboard and painfully peruse slide after slide, frame by frame (even an ultrasound/multiframe). Older ones are also pricks to support. But I want an older Radiologist looking, if I got cancer.

20. sandy Banned Banned

Yeah, but you know so much more about it than I do, so I find your posts refreshing and informational.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so its just the remote that's being used? Do you know if there is any medical device (not gaming) that is like it? Do you know if the reason they are using it is for efficiency or cost?

why?

And like you, I don't know much about radiology, but the links you have provided here have been very thought provoking. My Mom appreciates it and has forwarded the info you have supplied, on to her colleagues. Little hospitals don't have the budget bigger ones do, so this is great info.
    Thank you!!

22. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

www.mergehealthcare.com

They and their competitors, cater to small clinics and cheap hospitals. Really there is no excuse for not having a paperless system from RIS (Or HIS - Hospital Information System) to PACS, these days.

23. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I love PS3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.