chances of aliens out there

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by fedr808, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Before the admins come in and yell scifi or pseudoscience, im not saying that aliens visited earth i am argueing that there are many many other planets in our galaxy let alone the universe that are habitable like earth.

Look at our prerequisites for life.

Thje first is water, supposedly when the earth formed there was very little, but after a number of comets hitting us there was enough ice and water. Now apparently early on in the universe there were tons of comets colliding into tons of planets.

The next prerequisite is oxygen or breathable air (this is assuming they are oxygen breathing and not methane breathing (one advantage being they dont smoke XD) or CO2 like plants), and since comets hit the planet assuming the planet is close enough to a star, the water would evaporate and there would be oxygen.

The second being i suppose methane gas and an atmosphere and apparently i n the beginning of our planet there wer elots of volcanos which is a standard for most planets, look at those giant volcanoes on amrs for example.

So we have the oxygen, water, and atmosphere. and now there are the prerequisites for life. All that is needed are for the basic enzymes to form (which if u are familiar with thatexperiment by scientists to recreate the beginning of the world you will see it only took a few months to get a number of familiar enzymes)

And dont forget an iron core which is also a very very common element even in asteroids.

So really, all that is necessary for life supporting planets is to be close to the star, have volcanos, and get hit by comets. And all of those were in large supply when our planet was formed.

so when you think about it, we cannot be the only habitable planet in the galaxy because it is not that difficult for a habitable planet to be created.

I am not proposing aliens have visited earth, i am not even proposing sentiant alien beings, i am proposing that there are a large number of planets that are very habitable.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

And many here will concur with you as I do. I come from the Andromeda galaxy you see so I know that you are correct!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

A formula has been developed recently for estimating the density of civilizations in the universe that have invented radio communication. That's the minimum level of technological development for there to be a chance of us becoming aware of one another.

Obviously there are a lot of variables. How many planets have the right temperature, gravity, moisture level, minerals, and other favorable environmental conditions for life to arise? How old is the planet? How long does a civilization last before it collapses, dies, or reaches a level where it gives up on contacting other species?

So estimates vary, but I've seen one estimate that the number of radio-using civilizations in our galaxy could easily be a very small two-digit figure. If that's true, then considering how far we are from Galactic Downtown, the nearest one could be so far away that they won't receive our first radio signals for several thousand years.

Interstellar travel, once it becomes practical, will proceed at a speed much less than radio waves, so the chance of being visited by emissaries from one of these civilizations is so tiny as not to be worth taking seriously. They'll surely call before dropping in.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. soulstar Registered Senior Member

You're thinking of life-forms as they exist on earth- believing oxygen, water etc are the only required elements for life. Try conceiving of a different kind of life.

8. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

That was what i was thinking. But to be honest, we have not visited another planet inhabited by life so we really dont have some very good parameters about where soemthing can or cant live.

Like 50 years ago we thought that no organisms could live in temperatures above 120 plus degrees because their enzymes would break down, but than they found bacteria in geysers in yellowstone that thrived in 150+ degree environments.

So until we find organisms that expand our parameters to what you propose we have to settle for looking for planets that have similar charecteristics of earth.

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Formula's for life existing elsewhere are usually pretty screwed. I still haven't seen the formula for The universe suddenly appearing from nothing as energy, for energy deciding mysteriously to formulate into matter and for that matter to mysteriously decide to create life. I'm pretty sure the changes for those events are beyond astronomical, that they would make life occurring in more than one place in the universe even more astronomical.

10. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Define life please.

11. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

jpappl i think it is pretty easily to tell the difference between a pebble and a bacteria.

it can eat, it can screw/clone, and it can die.

Theres my redneck's definition of life.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Life being sentience, the capability to observe. Something which a rock doesn't do or can ever be. (* unless it's refined into materials, turned into a computer and programmed to simulate life)

13. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

when a computer becomes depressed and commits suicide is the day i believe that it is alive.

14. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Yes. Well I was responding to Stryder who is claiming that the chances of life developing on other planets is extremely unlikely.

But thanks for your interpretation.

I think we will find life is much more commonplace, but not what we would consider intelligent life.

I am pretty sure they found it on mars in the 70's, decided not to tell us.

I think that life is spread throughout the universe and there could be species millions of years more advanced then us.

So there may be some nanoprobe in our airspace right now and we wouldn't even know it.

15. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Well that definition will drastically reduce the number of planets with life.

However, with the sheer numbers involved that still IMO will leave a crapload of planets that will have life. What that would look like who knows.

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

A concise definition that has been circulating lately is "a local reversal of entropy." Living things take the organization out of the surrounding matter and utilize it to increase the organization of the matter that comprises them.

A more traditional definition of life is: Matter that has all or most of the following traits:
    • Homeostasis, the regulation of its internal environment
    • Organization, multiple distinct parts functioning in concert
    • Metabolism, the conversion of matter and energy into the material of which it is comprised (organic matter), and into decomposing organic matter (waste)
    • Growth, the increase in size of all its parts rather than simply accumulation of undifferentiated matter
    • Reproduction, the ability to create new individual organisms
    • Response to stimuli, examples range from heliotropism in plants to complex decision-making in animals
    • Adaptation, the ability to change over time in response to the challenges of the environment--this may take place in the individual, such as mammals growing thicker fur in winter, but it is also a key factor in the process of reproduction, resulting in better adapted individuals over time; i.e., evolution
    Still, there could be great distances between them. If they were only 500 lightyears apart there would be a million of them in our galaxy--which I think qualifies as a "crapload" although I haven't looked up the definition of that unit of measurement. But do you have any idea how difficult it will be for people on two planets separated by 500 lightyears to discover each other's existence? It takes radio waves 500 years to traverse that distance, and they will be so badly attenuated that it's hard to imagine designing a receiver that could pick them up even if you knew which way to point it, which you don't. And it will take considerably longer than 500 years for a probe to travel that distance--and again you don't have any idea where to aim it.

17. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Fraggle,

The obstacles to being visited is the greatest reason to exclude being visited. What we now know, leaves it a near impossibility.

So we are left with some magic of course. Magical aliens.

We would have to assume that if we are or have been visited, they have somehow found a way around the laws. Different dimensions etc could also be a possibility.

I don't claim to know the answer to this.

Recently, there have been proposals of ways to send nano sized probes near the speed of light. Whether that ever becomes a reality is unknown. But if we are where we are technologically. Where will we be in 500 years. Considering the last 200.

There are a lot of obstacles in the way of that as well. But if we make it that far on our current course. Then it could get interesting.

18. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Remarks similar to the following appear in almost every thread dealing with the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe.
    Such views are due to lots of SciFi knowledge & very little (if any) knowledge of biochemistry. The chemistry of life must allow for a large number of very complex molecules. Silicon, which also has a valence of 4, allows for a large number of complex molecules. However, silicon compounds are insoluble in most liquids & few (if any) are gaseous or liquid.

Consider the requirements of cells, which are the basic building blocks of living organisms. Each has a semipermeable membrane maintaining the integrity of the basic structure while allowing for the interchange of chemical compounds with the surrounding environment. No set of silicon compounds is suitable for the construction of these basic building blocks. Silicon compounds tend to be far more stable than comparable carbon compounds, making processes like photosynthesis, digestion, & growth of a living organism difficult if not impossible.

An advanced technological culture might be able to create life forms (or something similar) based on a different biochemistry than that existing on Earth. Such life forms would never evolve without an intelligent designer & fabricator.

BTW: Evolution & some basic laws of physics put limitations on life forms. Examples.
    • Huge SciFi insects are not possible due to their method of obtaining oxygen. Large creatures require a circulatory system based on a liquid like blood, which implies the need for lungs & a heart or something similar.

• There are reasons why various mythological creatures like centaurs & flying horses are almost certain not to evolve. Especially the latter.

• Elephants & other very large land dwelling animals must have legs which are thick & short in comparison with animals like deer.

19. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

Let's say "yes" for a moment.
    There are "alien" life forms out there. Alien to what? To our life form. But it's not alien to universe.
    So what? How are we going to make sure? We can not go or send a robot out there, not yet. Obviously they are not sending anything to here, unless if we are not imagining our top scientists, artists or TV personalities are actually working for, absorbed by an alien life form. Such as DNA, what!
    We can not go there, they can not come here, because space is expanding faster than the speed of light, and nothing we know is allowed to travel faster than photon. If anything, any knowledge, any civilization can ever break this rule, it should also be so advanced in this universe; either us or "aliens".
    We could not solve many of our problems as humanity, but we surely understood that everything in nature is consist of different interrelated mechanisms in different levels. In order to control these technologies, one must have spent some spare time in his/her evolution history and develop some disciplines.
    The existence is not improbable, yet first contact is unlikely.

20. phlogistician Banned Banned

You're thinking of life-forms as they exist on earth- believing oxygen, water etc are the only required elements for life. Try conceiving of a different kind of life.

Exactly. Also, the elements Oxygen, Iron, and Carbon are stable, and quite prevalent in the Earth's crust, so there's no reason to assume they would not be equally as prevalent in a rocky planet orbiting another 2nd generation star, similar to our Sun.

While some life forms here on Earth have copper based blood, and there's nothing to stop this being expressed more widely on another planet, there are solid reasons why apex predators do not have copper based blood, and that, again, is down to chemistry, and iron based blood is better at doing it's job.

Comments like the quote from Soulstar show a bit of a B-Movie attitude. We need SciFa, not SciFi!

21. Boris2 Valued Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Filter

>>The Great Filter is an implication of the failure to observe any extraterrestrial life, despite considerable effort (the Fermi paradox). One possible explanation is that there is something, the Great Filter, which acts to reduce the great number of potential sites to the tiny number of intelligent species actually observed (currently just one: ours). It might work either by one or more barriers to the evolution of intelligent life, or a high probability of self-destruction. The main counter-intuitive conclusion of this observation is that the easier it was for life to evolve to our stage, the bleaker our future chances probably are.<<

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Surface area of wings and cross-sectional area of muscles, both of which determine the amount of lift wings can produce, are proportional to the square of linear dimension. But volume and mass are proportional to the cube of linear dimension. So as linear dimension doubles, both muscle strength and wing area are squared, but the mass they have to lift is cubed. This requires the wing muscles and the wings themselves to be disproportionally larger than the rest of the body.

For a 300lb ostrich to be able to fly, it would need a 100ft wingspan and its breastbone (which anchors the muscles in those enormous wings) would be so large it might not be able to walk. For a half-ton horse to be able to fly... well, you do the math!
    Perhaps they are sending out probes. But the chance of one getting close enough for us to detect it or for it to detect us is very slim.

BTW, they'd be fools to send anything toward us since we're near the outer boundary of the galaxy and there aren't very many stars out here. They would certainly aim their radio receivers and their probes closer to the galactic center, which is in the opposite direction.

It's unlikely that anyone will discover Earth because it would be an uneconomical use of their resources to point them in our direction, on the outer fringe of the galaxy where there's not much to find.
    But all matter and energy within space is helped along in its journey by the expansion. That's how all those stars got out on the edge of the universe, 80 billion light years away (or whatever the figure is, the "expanding space" thing gives me a headache) in only 12 billion years of travel. The same thing will happen to our spacecraft.

If civilizations really are 500 light-years apart and it will take our probes thousands of years to find them, our real problem is to build machines that will operate reliably for thousands of years. Let's see. They'll need American bodies, German engines, Israeli security, Japanese software, Polynesian navigation (they found Hawaii in canoes!)... and Italian styling, so the aliens will be pleased to see them.

23. DRZion Theoretical Experimentalist Valued Senior Member

There is the possibility that there are other universes too. It is likely that there is life in at least two of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.