Caffeine appearantly can increase stress

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Joeman, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Of course caffeine is bad for you! You start getting all jumpy, and nervous...twitchy to boot.

*twitches*

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

I usually dont drink it because of its insomnia producing abilities, but its useful sometimes. Gotta wake up early to actually do stuff, when all your used to doing is waking up at 2pm and lying around? ICED TEA is the answer.

I was at a business seminar type thing a few weeks ago and on the crunch night caffeine couldn't have come more in handy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nannygoat Gruff Registered Senior Member

Where do these researchers get their funds to reinvent the wheel? It's been known for a very long time that caffeine stimulates the CNS and in particular, irritates the sensory cortex increasing alertness and mental reactivity. Obviously, if you are under stress that increase in mental reactivity will be an increase in reactivity to stress.
    It's also not news that caffeine stimulates cardiac muscle and is both a positive chronotroph (sic; see below) and inotroph (sic, see below).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2002
  8. le coq Registered Senior Member

I've looked up the terms "chronotroph" and "inotroph" on several online medical dictionaries with no matches so far... can you enlighten me on what these mean?

Thanks,
    John Le Coq

9. Nannygoat Gruff Registered Senior Member

It means I've made a spelling mistake, two in fact, those should have been "chronotrope" and "inotrope". Sorry about that!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

A positive chronotrope is something that makes your heart beat faster. A positive inotrope is something that makes your heart beat harder, i.e. greater, more forceful contraction of the cardiac muscles.