UV sensitive ink pigment?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by MacGyver1968, Jul 28, 2009.

1. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I don't start too many threads in chemistry, but I had an idea for something, and my chemistry knowledge is limited. I was just looking for a feasibility study.

For the record, I hate tattoos. The reason I hate tattoos is that they are permanent, and I'm old enough to know that what is cool today, will be laughable tomorrow. <insert pic of Mac at aged 16 with "Billy Idol" hair> It's been trendy for the last 10 or so years to get tattoos. I think many people...especially those who chose to get "career ender" tattoos on their neck or other clearly visible areas will eventually regret them.

Would it be possible to design a pigment in tattoo ink that could be sensitive to UV light? What I envisioned is a pigment that would slowly break down when exposed to daily UV light. Over time, daily exposure to the sun would slowly fade the tattoo away, or could be immediately removed with UV laser tech.

Would such a thing be possible?

Thank you in advance,

Mac

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bishadi Banned Banned

over time, every tatoo fades (problem is often the people die first)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

i thought they already had that,the so called "7 year" tattoos.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Maybe, if the tattoo can be made of some fluorescence materials

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I work with light-sensitive dyes all the time, and there are many choices of dyes that break down over time when exposed to UV light (or even visible light). As for weather or not any of them are safe to inject under your skin, I have no idea.

9. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

It's very possible, in fact most dyes breakdown when exposed to UV light, hence plastics fading etc.