Water Chestnuts

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Orleander, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Why is it that water chestnuts don't get mushy when you cook them? I don't know of any other fruit/veggie/root/etc that does

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

They have "hard" water in them!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

groan. twit LOL

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What do they taste like ?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Raw, they are crunchy. Roasted they are crumbly and hard.

I like them roasted, it gives them a nutty flavour

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Buy why don't they get mushy when you cook them? All other roots do. Is there a special compound in them or are they just not being cooked long enough?

10. Corten Registered Member

The water chestnut is actually a tuber or corm; basically the stem of the plant. They're rather tough to start with. The reason they don't get "soft" is because when you cook your other vegetables for X amount of time, you're not cooking the chestnuts the required Y amount of time to make them soft. If you cooked everything Y amount of time, your chestnuts would be soft and your other vegetables would be mush.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

12. Corten Registered Member

Basically what it means is that the influence of phenolic cross-links affect the thermal stability of cell adhesion and maintenance of crispness such foods. Phenolic cross-links decrease enzymatic degradation of plant cell walls and influence microbial degradation of dietary fibre polysaccharides.

Or, in layman's terms, the cross-links cause the chestnut to resist becoming soggy because of superior cells. (But as I mentioned before, if you cook them long enough, they will become soggy eventually.)

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

How long is long enough?
    Hmmm, I sense an experiment in the making. Let's see, who was it that did the spinning baseball bat experiment for me? I wonder if I could talk him into boiling water chestnuts for me.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Water chestnuts give Guangdong ("Cantonese") cuisine its dynamic texture; their firmness contrasts with the softer consistency of the other vegetables. Although they also use snow peas in the pod and (recently) baby corn for the same purpose. I can't imagine why you'd want to moosh them.

You can make wood edible if you cut it finely enough (i.e. start with sawdust) and boil it long enough, so I don't think this experiment will be much of a challenge.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

prove it.

I'm talking about a whole chestnut. How long til it turns to mush? I don't even know of a store that sells them in anything but a can. :shrug:

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I just got some fresh ones this morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.