cell number portability lie?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by weed_eater_guy, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

Hey guys

So, I've moved pretty much for good from point A in america to point B. I have a cell phone on the Sprint network that worked great at point A. However, Sprint covers crap at point B, but AT&T dominates here, everyone in town uses them. I'd like to keep my old phone number and transfer to AT&T.

Buuut... in America, one can't transfer phone numbers between zip codes being in completely separate states. At least, the zip code you claim you'll mostly be in...

So my question, I still have a drivers license with my address A on it. If I walked into an AT&T boutique place (whatever they're called) and said "hey, I'm on vacation, but kinda want to swap providers, KEEP my number, my primary zip code is A", would anyone give a damn? Is there anything illegal with this? Would number portability not work if I'm not standing in zip code A when it happens?

I'm looking through google and can't find anything like this. Whadaya think?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I've done this -- going from Sprint to Verizon and relocating to another state -- and it's not been a problem.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

No, you can only port numbers within a given location, because all the phone routing is handled at a particular switch in the local phone network. Even if you keep the ZIP code on your file the same, you'll still have to get a new number with the new provider.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

Idle, I don't get it, why would that matter? I can use my current cell phone with an outsider area code and it works on the local cell network (and switches) just fine. I'm just not sure what you mean I guess.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

Jesus, that sucks ass. But if you can do what you propose via your driver's license, give it a shot, although you may get screwed over on 'roaming' charges I guess, people in Zip 'B' might end up making a long distance to call you if you are in Zip 'B' because the call is first routed to 'A'?

9. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Well, that's the thing though, you need the area code for numbers outside your local area, otherwise the phone switches don't know how to route the call. They have a very strict list of numbers that they are able to route locally, and phone companies are unable to add outside numbers to the list (I'm not sure if it's not possible, or if they're just taking a hard line against exceptions).

10. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

Ahh, I see what you mean. Pretty much every number I get from people has an area code, the only time someone gives me 7 digits, they usually have a landline, which if it's in town, I already know the area code. I don't mind programming the extra three digits into my phone, haha

11. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

Well, just went to the AT&T shop, and the guy told me he wasn't even allowed to market that number in this region (address B), telling me I'd have to go to address A to switch and keep my number. Fat lot of help they are, believe I will try doing this online...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.