First naval gun turret

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by wet1, Jul 25, 2002.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

First naval gun turret to rise from the deep

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

One of the most famous symbols of the American Civil War, the revolving gun turret from the USS Monitor is about to be raised, thanks to a massive multi-million dollar joint effort between the US Navy and the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
    The Monitor was launched in January 1862. But it fought in only one battle at sea before sinking 32 kilometres off the coast of North Carolina in a fierce storm on New Yea's Eve of the same year. Its place in history was secured not by battle victories, but because it began a new era of metal warships

For the rest of the article: Here

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

FYI: The Monitor was not all metal. It was what was called an ironclad. That means a wooden ship covered in iron plate. It was still revolutionary.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeraldoRivera Registered Member

History is so cool

Thanks wet!1!!!

I was pretty decent in history, only because my high school teacher was doubled as a FootBall Coach & was a complete horse's ass!

Other's told me what to expect when I got into Coach W. class, so I spent extra time studying there. Hey, I came out in the top ten!

As time goes on, I have to agree with the coach when he said the things about history being so interesting. History Channel is my favorite cable channel!

All of the great wars are the best place to start...Very interesting.

Who we are....Where did we come from....& where are we going?
    <font color="aquafusca">~The Notable_Wet1~</font color>

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.