Seasteading for Climate Change

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by hayenmill, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayenmill Registered Member

(someone please link this): http://digg.com/d1v6YL [Moderator note: done]

further on,

Personally i think this is a great way of helping out climate refugees, provided we cannot stop climate change and the cost of building these floating shelters is reduced.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. terrybrookman Registered Member

I came up with a flattened geodesic design (500 ft. x 150 ft.) that would float and be powered by flying very large spinnakers thirty years ago. They could stay in deep water in international waters to become havens for the political disenfranchised. Top surfaces would be solar and wind power with green houses. With some of the new technology today they would work. First Idea was to take WW2 salvaged cargo ships and make large catamarans with sails.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. hayenmill Registered Member

perhaps you could pm with some of your designs? Im interested in any type of alternative living spaces and havens. Did you got the idea of geodesic design by Buckminster Fuller?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. terrybrookman Registered Member

Yes, he was brilliant and you can use the same design in different shape. My study on this was a long time ago and lately I have been looking at cheaper options. When the trucking Co's went to 52 ft. all the old container's and boxes are selling cheap. Most are steel with oak floors and can be stacked. Weld a couple together and you get a cheap place to live. Google containers and you will find all you need plus people who are doing this. Old Liberty ships might still be around, they had hundreds of them moth balled and could be bought for almost nothing. If you take out the boilers and convert them to sail it would be a way to stay outside the political boundary's and all the laws of such. I would suppose you could declare yourself an independent nation? With enough people doing this you could hook them together to form community's that float on the Ocean currents most of the time. The Ocean's are the last frontier unless you could find a way to get off planet. I always wanted to be an asteroid miner. LOL

8. Xylene Valued Senior Member

I've thought about this quite a lot, and done quite a bit of writing about it as well. I have a piece of writing that I could upload to you if you're interested, where I go into detail about the physical and social effects of a 90-100 metre rise in sea level. PM me and I'll send it to you via e-mail.

9. X-Man2 We're under no illusions. Registered Senior Member

Floating housing has always intrigued me,not sure why.Anyway just wanted to add I'm not sure if free floating vs stationary is better but what would seem really neat(to combat the same view to) would be to have free floating housing, cities etc. be close to the shore line and just float from one countries shore line to another.This way you wouldn't be forced just to seeing water.Where do I sign up?

10. Xylene Valued Senior Member

I was thinking about communities of houseboats--if you don't like your neighbours, you can just up anchor and move up or down the coast to get away from them...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. stereologist Escapee from Dr Moreau Registered Senior Member

I'm planting palm trees in Newfoundland waiting for the warming to kick in. It's the entrepeneur in me.

12. hayenmill Registered Member

im not affiliated with them (yet at least), but you can sign up here: http://www.seasteading.org

13. hayenmill Registered Member

damn, i cant post pm yets! talk about forum restrictions...i need 20 posts to post links AND pm...

anyway, just wanted i became interested in your writting after you mentioned it. I am also writting a book about the future, but im not planning on focusing any sea levels (if i do mention global warming i'd just say temperatures will go back to normal and the extreme scaremongers will say its thanks to the barely visible measures taken..). In any case, i thought i'd warn you in case you don't want to have the risk of having any of your work copied.

14. Gustav Banned Banned

cool
    i remember clockwood bringing this up a while back

interestingly, patri, founder of tsi, is milton friedman's son

ja
    the "work in progress" is funded

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Mermaids wear t-shirts?

16. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Must be chilly once you're out of the water...

poor thing...

17. hayenmill Registered Member

milton friedman (classical liberal) -> David friedman (anarcho-capitalist/free-market anarchism) -> patri friedman (somewhere along his father, i think he calls himself libertarian)

18. Gustav Banned Banned

ah
    grandson
    that's what i meant

as for orly
    in all my time spent in sci, she's gotta take the prize for the most ridiculous question posed.

of course they do! mermaids can be quite fashion conscious.......

see?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.