The Synergy Project - Real World Bug-Tracking

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by xerond, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xerond Registered Member

Hey there. My name is Travis Ladner. I'm piloting an open source web app(semi-social experiment) for a community geared towards technical analysis of real world issues. Social concern factor tracking, encouragement to cite source material. User's can nominate problems for concern and have to state reason. Issues are initially presented to those in relevant geographic and/or experience relation. Issues can ascend in scope to pull in more users as it grows in relevant concern. And can also descend in concern to show real solution tracking of problems as they resolve.

Stuff like that.

Pretty much a real world bug-tracker with maybe a magic trick or two.

We've got some decent ideas down. Its just a matter of getting the code down. If you'd like to watch a video concept, it's linked off the home-page of

OneSynergy dot Org (this is not spam, I wish I had 20 posts)

Or just in the forums.

We're looking for help, but only if you really want to. We've got a newsletter up now if you'd like to be updated on the progress. Thanks for your time.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Travis, I've had a look at your onesynergy.org site, and I'm quite impressed. We put up a problem that affects our community, or a problem that we see affecting the world community, and then either we put up a potential solution, or we comment on solutions that are offered by other people? I assume that's the process...count me in, I'd like to contribute.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. xerond Registered Member

Hey there Xylene. Thanks for the consideration! Sorry I haven't been back to this thread since I posted it. I've been quite busy refining the concept so it would be much more presentable to developers and generally to the public. If you'd like to see what we're talking about feel free to register on the forums and say... anything! Even if you're not a programmer, any input on this project or any participation at all is deeply appreciated.

At the moment, these are the basic goals of the project:

What?
    The Synergy Project aims to create a free, open-source web application used for collaborative problem solving.

Features:
    • For issues to be submitted within a local context, yet available globally.
    • Specifically and generally relating user profiles to problems submitted to the system.
    • To render these "issues" to users based on user concern. We would like to use various 3d models to display the population of these issues as they relate to each-other, and the concern factor they hold.
    • To attach real world events and source material to these issues as they evolve.
    • To show concern trending with each problem to give users an idea what kind of attention it is attracting.
    • To create a proposal system for users to submit comprehensive suggestions for fixes. This proposal system would ask the user to address as much source material as possible.

How?
    Currently we're in the process of nailing down which platforms to attack. We're considering modifying MediaWiki and using it as an initial platform with which to launch development. Since we hope to integrate some more advanced visualizations compared to a standard wiki page, we're looking to figure out the best way to achieve that.

Why?
    In practicality there are already models in place that are proving the proficiency of collaborative organizations. The biggest example being Wikipedia. So why not step it up and test the bounds of this type of organization? Some positive possibilities would be fast and diverse reporting of world events as they happen. Just as we see how fast Wikipedia pages manifest and update, we could see that here. We could witness open discussions that encourages users from diverse geographic areas and different fields of experience. The kind of data that could be received from such diverse input would be publicly available to anyone. And possibly, to translate any positive conclusions found within the system into the real world.

So all in all thats the gist of it. There are a lot of interesting details and ideas we're playing with on the forums at the moment. In addition to a lot of content and related material (pictures, concept video, related videos and talks, etc) that are there as well. Or there is a newsletter sign-up page linked off the main homepage if you want to just follow the progress.

At the moment I'm working on making the community more presentable, user-friendly, and informative. If any of you guys have any small questions related to this I'll be happy to answer them here. Any specifics or larger questions I'd prefer to answer them on our forums!

OneSynergy . org (working domain) The Synergy Project (working title)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Well, I can think immediately of one particular problem that needs an immediate solution--clean drinking water for Africa. I was thinking of a series of salt-water conversion plants down both coasts of the continent, one or more in each coastal country, depending on the population of that country and the hinterland behind them. The idea being that with clean, fresh drinking water the infant mortality rate would go way down, and millions of children could be saved. There would of course be an economic incentive for the coastal countries which are the host-nations of the desalination plants, to keep them operating--because only while they were supplying water would they get paid by the countries that were up-pipe from them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.