No Brain? No problem.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by nirakar, Jun 22, 2009.

1. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

from http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/science/is_the_brain_really_necessary.htm

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saven Registered Member

That information doesn't sound true. No brain? So he has no pituitary gland? No medulla? No hippocampus? He wouldn't be able to breathe.

Such things are impossible.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i agree with saven, i would like to see the evidence of this because for instance without the brain stem, hypothelmus ect your heart cant beat, you cant breath. I can see an adaptive measure meaning another way of proccessing the higher brain funtions COULD develop. For instance i have herd ALOT of stories of people without one hemisphere of there brain leading quite good lives (much better than before they had it removed infact) but there hasnt been to my knowlage ONE case of someone surviving without the hypothelmus ect

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Follow the link to the rest of the story. Or Google: " "john Lorber" "sheffield" ".

"No brain" was an exaggeration. The guy with the 126 IQ had a brain that weighs between 50 grams and 150 grams while a normal brain weighs about 1500 grams.

The next Paragraph from the linked article:

8. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

You at the very least need a brain stem and a lot of fancy machines to get around any length of time. So solly, Cholly.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

All you ever use is the 'thin lining'.

The cerebral cortex is a structure within the brain that plays a key role in memory, attention, perceptual awareness, thought, language, and consciousness. It constitutes the outermost layer of the cerebrum.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_cortex

The rest must still be attached to the brainstem.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Wow very interesting!

11. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Is it possible that his brain was there, but displaced?

Could his brain stem somehow be located elsewhere in his nervous system?

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

His brainstem was still there though.

From the article:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Wow..a hollow..brain. What are those two white stains though..

14. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

No, that's not correct. We definitely use the inner structures of our brains in addition to the outer cerebral cortex.

The important phrase there is “the plays a key role in”. The cerebral cortex plays an important role in all those functions, but not an exclusive role.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ok, what is the role of the rest ? I was under the impression that the underlying tissue was mostly the 'wiring' leading to the cerebral cortex.

I've heard about more cases like this, so I'm going to assume it's true.
    If it's true the cerebral cortex apparently doesn't need a lot of support from the underlying tissue.

16. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I recall that the amount of surface area is very important in brain function. This is the reason for the folds. Perhaps people with these thin brains are able to compensate for decreased brain size with increased surface area/mass.

17. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

I was thinking exactly the opposite. I was thinking that maybe they were estimating the weight wrong because the brains were all squished into a denser lower surface area brain than they were used to. I believe the article (or one of the others on the topic) talked about reduced surface area because of the pressure.

If surface area does mater, why?

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

The surface of the cortex (or grey matter) is where the actual neuronal cell bodies are. The inside of the cortex is the "white matter" which is the connections between cells. So more surface area means more neurons in your cortex. More neurons=more powerful brain.