Closer to understanding, and controling, Aging.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Michael, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Key Target Of Aging Regulator Found
    I'm always happy to read about these sorts of discoveries. With more than half a century of life in from of me, I feel confident we'll bring the Aging processes under our control, in my lifetime.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xylene Valued Senior Member

I hope they do as well, 'cos I certainly haven't got fifty years of life ahead of me, unless they make some drastically interesting discoveries.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Unless they simultaneously discover the fountain of youth, I don't see the point of an extended old age in the era of an overpopulated world. Do we really need more senile old persons racing around on the roads and sapping the resources that young people should avail of?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Fair point, SAM--it's no use getting to 150 years old because of extended lifespan, only to spend the last forty-odd years of your life confined to a hospital bed or staring at a wall in a retirement village because you can't remember your own name.

8. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Uh uh, absolutely not. It won’t happen in our lifetime, probably not in the next generation’s either.

This is a very common mistake on internet science forums. The aging mechanisms in mammals are far more complex than those of invertebrates and single celled organisms like yeast (the focus of the study in question). These organisms are frequently used as models for the aging process and it is relatively easy to increase/decrease their lifespan two- or three-fold through simple genetic modifications. But whilst altering single genes in invertebrates and yeast can dramatically change lifespan, we have seen time and time again that the same gene alterations have little or no effect in mice. This is despite mammals having orthologues of the same invertebrate genes.

Aging is likely controlled by many genes and by complex feedback mechanisms from many cell types all over the body. Lifespan and senescence is a fundamental cellular process that I doubt we will be able to overcome.

9. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Gotta agree with Sam here.

God those baby boomers...just ...won't ...let it go. Will they?

10. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Once men get past about 60, they start dropping like flies--so they (the BB's) are just at the edge of starting to let go...

11. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

To add to that, how are these people very useful to have around? They don't raise families and they draw retirement, social security, etc.

12. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

why would anybody want to get old? seriously after 60 then life is good has done for you anyway!