Creating an electronic cigarette?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Vic the Trader, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vic the Trader straight chillin Registered Senior Member

Anybody know where to start on this one?

There's already ways to make the compound that comes in the cartridges. Tons of discussion about that on this forum.

This new e-book exists on the web (.pdf), but I've been unable to find a leaked version, or a torrent. It's information you can find on that forum compiled into like 13 pages, but I'd rather not pay any money for that.

Perhaps in the future people will be smoking a mixture of daily vitamins and water vapor instead of popping a pill.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's called a vaporizer, very common among users of cannabis.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

not to mention asthma suffers

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

fwiw, in the eight grade my teacher told me that the biggest danger from cigarettes is due to the heat.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

umm, no?
    its due to the casongenic compounds present in the smoke which destroy the cells of the alveolus

9. John99 Banned Banned

but according to her it was the heat that caused the damage.

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

well as i just said SHES WRONG. The heat (as it enters the body) is less than the adverage cup of coffee and how many people die from drinking hot drinks to stay warm?

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

unless shes talking about it in the sence of they are safe until you light them. In that case she COULD be right, if you dont smoke them they dont harm you (except finantially)

12. John99 Banned Banned

this was a long time ago, i was in the 8th grade. i have to admit though, thinking about it that it does make sense. the heat being the main issue.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

how does it?

14. John99 Banned Banned

the heat damages the cells and according to her this would not happen if there was no heat present. if someone shows otherwise i would not dispute it, but her hypothesis sounds reasonable. i certainly acknowledge that smoking is very bad and should be avoided.

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

yes heat damages cells (ie a burn) but so do chemicals. If heat damage was the cause of all a cigretts dangers you would expect the problems to mainly occure in the upper resp track especially around the lips and tongue but it doesnt. It mainly occures in the small airways at the base of the lungs. By the time smoke reaches that point it has cooled quite alot (i would suggest to around the same temp as room air in normal cirumstances) especially as alot of people suck air into the smoke, hold it in there mouth and then breath in room air and inhale it along with the room air. There is little chance that after that much time any of the above adverage heat remains.

Not to mention that you would see similar injuries in people who live in hot climates and who regually use sauna's ect WITHOUT being smokers and i have never seen any evidence of either emphasima OR lung cancer being more prevelant in hot countries when ajusted for smoking rates

16. John99 Banned Banned

some good points with the climate but the temp of the smoke is greater than 90 degrees as it enters the lungs. not hot enough to damage the lips or mouth but the sensitive tissue in the lungs. not to say that secondary dangers are not present but she led me to believe the main danger or perhaps one may go so far as to say overriding danger is due to the heat. she did lead me to believe it was the combination of heat and smoke.

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

90C?
    your kiding right?
    if you poured water at 90C onto your skin it would blister for sure concidering water BOILS at 100

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

and if your talking 90F which is 32.333333 you would DEFINITLY see people with these symptoms simply from climate because half of summer in Australia is above that temp

19. John99 Banned Banned

yeas fahrenheit. now that you mention it i dont know what the exact temp is of the smoke is but the increase in temperature increases the toxicity.

20. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

asguard, i'm impressed by your patience and perseverance. john, you are suffering from confirmational bias.

21. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

You think smoke hotter than 90 degrees is harmful? In the summer time, it's common for the air to be hotter than 90 degrees.

The problem with cigarettes is the all the chemicals produced when the tobacco combusts. If cigarettes could deliver the nicotine without all the other chemicals, they would be quite a bit safer.

The heat might be an issue if the smoke entered the lungs at the same temperature as the burning ember on the cigarette, but that doesn't happen. It cools off substantially by the time it's finally inhaled.

In fact, I would argue that colder smoke is easier to inhale, so you would be more likely to inhale more of it, deeper, exposing yourself to even more of the chemicals.

Also, don't electronic cigarettes already exist? I'm pretty sure I've seen ads for buying them. Or do you just want to make one yourself?

22. LifeinTechnicolor Registered Senior Member

Will you get addicted to electronic cirgrattes the same with real ones?

23. John99 Banned Banned

Rubik, i hadnt thought about it until this thread. Come to think of it she may have actually meant that the heat of combustion reacted on the chemicals. We didnt go into too many details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.