They call this space junk ?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by jpappl, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpappl Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

just cause its triangular does not mean its a UFO...woooo

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Can you identify it ?

No, than it's a freaking ufo.

Just cause it's triangular does not mean it's an alien craft. Is this what you mean't ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Here from Jim Oberg regarding this photo.

The interesting thing is the space junk is monitored to make sure that the shuttle moves well away from any to avoid an impact.

So if this is well away from it, how big is it ? I mean how big is the space junk ?

He is claiming it is not space junk but something that fell off the shuttle. WTF is he on crack. What is the space shuttle just dropping giant traingle pieces off it as it fly's, what a piece of crap the shuttle must be. Gimme a break.

"The junk theory is garbage? You were TRYING to make us grin, I hope.

There's confusion over 'space junk' -- in the news, it usually refers to independently orbiting stuff left over from other space shots. If big enough, the shuttle or station have to dodge. Your statement about that is correct.

I have rarely seen any image suggestive of this kind of 'space junk' from any NASA mission. The stuff seen outside is usually self-generated 'stuff' that comes off the spacecraft, either normally or accidentally. So it has about the same initial speed and direction as the shuttle, and is not an imminent collision hazard for that reason.

That's what this piece was -- something off the structure from which the crew photographed it. NASA is always deeply concerned about determining why it came off, what broke, and what might need fixing. They don't ignore it -- that's why you sometimes see exterior cameras zooming over at objects. The first need is to make sure they're not going to recontact -- the next, to try to find out where outside they came off of. "

8. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I assume most of the stuff tends to be going the same way round as Earth's spin from near equator is used to reduce energy cost to inject into orbit. There are however orbit with high inclinations, even pole crossing orbits, but I think they have significantly lower probability of hitting a satellite in the more common orbits.

I do not support the manned space efforts as it is very much more costly and has proven to be nearly worthless* in comparison to the unmanned satellites, which return great value to dwellers on the surface. Perhaps a growing chain reaction of collisions is a blessing in disguise? -Make it too dangerous to continue sending man up?

If that is the case, what happens, then we will get much more value for the space launches we make, more quickly with higher rate of return. I.e. if they mission has only a decade or so life expectancy free of collision, then it needs to be worth it in a few years. Weather satellites, synchronous orbit communication satellites, GPS, and a few others certainly can meet that test.

It would be interesting to know what fraction of the "space junk" came from the manned space program, dropped wrenches, cameras etc.

If God intended man to orbit Earth, he/she would not have made man need oxygen

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

----------------
    *Can anyone name anything learned from the manned program that would not have costs 1% or less to learn with unmanned satellite? (excluding the human body reactions to space, which are of value only if man is to be there.) Think how much more AI would have advanced if man were prohibited from space and the same investment had been made. Too bad that the human body is not continously vomiting when in zero G.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2009
  9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Here's more space junk.

10. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

economical viability and space junk in the same sentence...
    did the retards take over the debate ?

11. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Good God!

That is freaky dude.

If space debris impact in your yard, can they be sold on Ebay? That's the real question at hand.

12. draqon Banned Banned

yeah sure! unless it was military or claimed by a government.

13. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

North Korea can't stop me from selling their space debris can they?

The problem with them is that it was debri before it entered space! haha

14. jpappl Valued Senior Member

:wallbang::wallbang::wallbang:

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what happened to the pieces of Skylab when it hit?

16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

They were embarrassed enough at their own pointlessness to sensibly burn up in the atmosphere.

17. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Here is the response from NASA after a request for more information.

"Thank you for your message. If the resolution of the available images is not sufficient for your purposes, please contact Jody Russell in the Johnson Space Center Media Center for information on ordering a custom product.

Unfortunately, we have no information on exactly what the space debris is, or its origin. It is possible that it was related to the launch of the SATCOM KU-I satellite from the Shuttle during this mission.

Thank you for your interest in astronaut photography of Earth!

Earthweb
    The Gateway to Astronaut Photography of Earth
    NASA Johnson Space Center"

So they don't know what that is either. Although they had no problem telling the NY times it was space junk/debris. WTF.

18. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

what do you think they are going to say...
    "thank you for your response to your inquiry about the orbiting beta space fighter built on the military black budget that was a total flop and cost 5 billion dollars.
    we endeavor to track these things and will look on eagerly as it hopefully burns up so as to reduce embarrassment for the american covert military".

"if you would like any further information please fell free to NOT ASK and at your own leisure please go directly to Guantanamo bay, do not pass gas(we invested in coal) go directly to complete financial purgatory".

i like the new note on tv news mentioning the american military has miss placed 2 trillion dollars hahahahahahahahahaha
    cracks me up soo much !!!!!
    while entire families are thrown out on the street and war vets die of preventable problems from lack of medical care from the government the military gold plates its toilet paper and bullets while it has a jolly big knees up and cashmere boa's for all!

19. jpappl Valued Senior Member

How about " We don't know what it is " or, " it's most likely space debris but we don't know exactly "

I guess they are srewed either way and the conspiracy crowd jumps on it.

But I posted it because it's so blatant in the camera view, it would have to have been a huge piece of debris far away or they should be able to see what kind of material it is if not. Because if it's not very large, it would have to very close. So if it's far away and that size, it is a giant piece that fell off.

You would think they would know that big of piece was missing and what part it is exactly.

Their explanation for what it is, stinks, that's all.

20. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

the Americans are not the only people who fire shit into orbit.

21. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Not sure what that has to do with the NASA photo. But if you saying that it might be someone else's, sure. But it's still a NASA photo and they are the ones declaring what it is.

22. jmpet Valued Senior Member

There's a million pieces of space debris in all shapes and forms in the geosphere. It still breaks down to one piece per hundred square miles of space!

23. MRC_Hans Skeptic Registered Senior Member

What exactly should it be, apart from space junk? You know, they are actually tracking most of the larger space junk out there (exactly to prevent collisions), so they may have it on their map, but that does not have to mean they know exactly what it is.

Hans

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.