Question About Melted Silver

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by jessiej920, Jun 2, 2009.

1. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

I thought this was the best forum to ask this question. Maybe someone can help me.

At what temp. does silver liquify and is it possible to mix an organic solution with melted silver and still have it cool and harden correctly?

Strange question, I know, but any answers would be helpful.

Thanks!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Silver melts at 1763.474 °F (http://www.chemicalelements.com/elements/ag.html). Even if your organic solution doesn't cook at the temperature, the silver will still be so much more dense that you'd never be able to form a "mixture" that could later cool, trapping the mixture within the now hardened silver.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I figured that silver's density would not allow any type of organic solution to be trapped within it; sort of like an oil and water affect, but I wanted to check with someone more versed in chemisty then me. Thanks again!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Plus if you add it to silver at near a thousand C, if you have just organic stuff it'll cook, giving off all sorts of gas and unpleasant smells, but if there is any water it'll turn to steam and you risk blowing lumps of organic and bits of silver all over the place.

8. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

As far as organosilver synthesis is concerned, this is like trying to build the pyramids by nuking a quarry.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You could mix silver powder with the organic substance and then press it to make a solid. Silver will readily weld to itself with pressure if it's clean.

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I'm sure silver can have some level of carbon content and by the way it will be pure only carbon, at those temperatures any organic solution will pyrolyze to carbon (and hydrogen and carbon monoxide gas).

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

But high temperatures may not be required.