Ancient Hot Ghetto Mess

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Orleander, May 27, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I find it interesting that the upper class didn't do this.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

They didn't say that. They said all people seemed to do this regardless of social class.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xylene Valued Senior Member

A reasonably safe way of storing wealth, perhaps--or was it certain groups in society who did it, as a mark of guild or clique, rather than class?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

how were these perfectly round holes made in teeth by ancients, exactly?

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

A drill? The fire drill is one of man's earliest inventions, and can be easily adapted to drill holes.

9. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Super crazy photos dude!

Looks cool... but I'll not be putting gems in my own teeth!

10. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

In the first photo, the gemstones appear misshapen and unrefined. I know it was a more primitive society, but why would anyone find that attractive or beneficial, even back then?

The second photo? Plain stupid. Basically everyone I've seen that has teeth like that has been a rich black rapper. Don't care much for those types, and it just looks stupid to go around flashing what is probably tens of thousands of dollars on some awkward jewel encrusted teeth. Ugly. And frivolous. And frivolous is often ugly in and of itself.

11. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

hey man... that's a sweet grill

12. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Start a poll that anonymously correlates people's incomes to whether or not they find blinged out teeth attractive.

13. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I think YOU should start that poll.

Or maybe just start a poll that determines how attractive a person finds those teeth, and then reach the conclusion that the people who find it least attractive are probably the most intelligent.

14. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

If I were that interested in the answer I would have put forth the effort already.

heh.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

But it's clear that people—mostly men—from nearly all walks of life opted for the look, noted José Concepción Jiménez, an anthropologist at the institute, which recently announced the findings.

"They were not marks of social class" but instead meant for pure decoration, he commented in an e-mail interview conducted in Spanish.

In fact, the royals of the day—such as the Red Queen, a Maya mummy found in a temple at Palenque in what is now Mexico—don't have teeth decorations, Jiménez said.

I read it as all walks of life meaning farmers, vendors, fishermen, etc. They were not marks of class but rich powerful people didn't do it.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't think it relates to income. It relates to education.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I stand corrected. Perhaps they just haven't found them yet? Maybe they had so many other expressions of wealth that they didn't feel like drilling in their teeth.