Life on Mars found in 1976

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by jpappl, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Check out these articles of both the Viking and Phoenix missions. Scientist states they found organic material in 1976 but NASA denied to bring the results forward. He also claimed that via another test that there was water on Mars, also denied at the time.

http://www.space.com/news/spacehistory/viking_life_010728-1.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/06/0611_030611_marslife.html

http://www.universetoday.com/2009/02/18/has-liquid-water-been-detected-on-mars/

http://www.dbtechno.com/space/2009/01/17/possible-sign-of-life-found-on-mars-methane-gas/

I love this line.

"The way in which the methane gas is being released has many at NASA believing that it could be a sign of some type of biological activity.

Breaking this down into simpler terms, it means that life could be forming, or may already have formed on Mars in some capacity.

NASA has not confirmed that this means life is on Mars currently, but it has many people believing that.

They did admit that this surely increases the probability that we will find life on Mars very soon.

For example, the majority of methane on Earth is produced by bacteria from the living things on our planet."

What the hell are they afraid of. I mean, were not talking about little green men.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

I remember this news way back then. I owned stock or was looking at owning stock in Spherix or Biospherix (SPEX) at the time. They had information about the tests and their equipment along with the results in their shareholder or marketing package. They were sure they had been the first to detect signs of life on Mars. The findings were waved off as inconclusive but the company never withdrew their claims as far as I know. Every since then I have been expecting them to be credited with the discovery.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

they aren't afraid of anything.
    the mars lander experiment was constructed to test for certain material that would indicate life.
    the lander returned a positive.
    the question is "is there life on mars" or did the experiment return a false positive.

the question would be far simpler if the lander included a bottle with pencil and paper.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Well I wonder about the fear because the religions of the world have done a pretty good job of convincing a large percentage of the worlds population that we are unique, that we are the chosen ones created by God.

The discovery of life no matter how small on another planet would go against the teachings and the interpretations of these religions, and they have a lot of power. I mean you can't get elected President if you don't claim to be a believer.

I know they will shift to include this or rationalize it, probably never expected us to be there and find it so quickly. My point is, back in 1976, they apparently chose not to reveal those findings and declare what they had agreed to do. Why not ? Instead they chose to use an inconsistent technique. Seems they made a choice to keep it from us.

It's also clear that they are now making statements to prepare everyone for the truth. Which is something they have apparently known about for 33 years.

8. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

bingo jpappl...bible and koran sales would go way down

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Xylene Valued Senior Member

On the other hand, if we do eventually meet other galactic races some time off in the remote future, doesn't that just mean that we get flooded with their holy books?

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

And if we refuse to believe in their god... what then ?

11. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Have you ever been water boarded?

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No.. do you think I'd break down and agree to believe in their god ?

13. jpappl Valued Senior Member

What if they were into anal probing ?

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Look, at the first threat of torture I would just submit

15. jpappl Valued Senior Member

What they say they found on Mars in 1976 wasn't anything that we should be afraid of except for on the microscopic level.

I would say if we find them first then yes we probably would have traveled a long way to find a race more stupid than we are. On the other hand if they come here then no. IMO

16. jpappl Valued Senior Member

LOL. Yeah especially if they had some wicked instruments in view. I have an imagination and it works pretty well.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Which would be quite an achievement

18. jpappl Valued Senior Member

LOFL. Considering there may be a species out there a million years more advanced than we are. I'd say they may have come here and realized we were dumb as shit and said lets check back in a few thousand years.

19. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

What's the big deal, if life isn't on Mars then it's somewhere else in the known universe. Hell there's no doubt of that. So why bother worrying over microbe fossils etc when anyone with 1/2 a brain would realize this

20. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

21. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Yes, I remember reading the original sci-fi story on which that episode was based--excellent story, it spoke about the purpose of the book in the very last sentence...

22. Xylene Valued Senior Member

In the old medieval days they used to do that--they'd show some poor bastard the instruments of torture and let their imagination do the rest--it saved a lot of time and effort on the part of the torturer if the prisoner could be made to talk immediately...on the other hand, it could be that the torturer got his job because he had the right sort of mind for the job; ie, I really really like hurting people...So I'll be really pissed off if they confess immediately

23. Xylene Valued Senior Member

They could land in certain places on the West Coast and get an eager crowd forming immediately...they'd have to beat people off with sticks...

No, wait, that would probably just encourage them...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.