Short People

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Saven, May 21, 2009.

1. Saven Registered Member

It's a well documented trend that tall people earn more than short people, succeed in politics more, and are occasionally found to be more intelligent.

Sometimes I wonder about how men feel when they are like 5'9" or below, which is rather short for a guy. I just think it must be so hard to take in that you are not able to ever reach the potential limit of normal male human growth. I'm 6ft tall and so is my wife, which is quite tall for a woman. And sometimes I wonder, do short people, especially short men, ever feel like incomplete humans?

Is it hard when all the other guys are looking down at you? How do you cope?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Platform shoes! These have a 3 inch lift in them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I'm a 5'7 girl and I feel like an incomplete human for it. I know I'm actually over average, but I feel about 4'7.

Damn estrogen for flooding out at age 14 and poisoning my skeleton.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ili Registered Member

Short people can compensate by becoming a body builder (Franco Columbo), an actor (Tom Cruise), a billionaire (Michael Bloomberg) or a tyrant (Napolean).

8. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

So?

So therefore also occasionally found to be more stupid?

Where and when?
    Average heights depend upon location and generation.

So you haven't reached the "potential limit of normal male human growth" either.
    How does that make you feel?
    Must be mortifying that haven't hit 8 foot plus...

Or how do you feel about not being faster than everyone else? Or smarter? Or stronger?

Nah, but I wonder if idiots ever do.

Actually since most of the people I knew that were tall relied on their height to get them through life I looked down on them - they had nothing to back them up.

By not banging our heads on the tops of doorways.

And that's compensating for being short is it?
    Or just the way those people found to express whatever talents they had.

[edit] FYI, this post isn't defensiveness

I'm slightly above average height for my generation anyway [EndEdit]

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  9. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

That's me....well not actual body building, I just want strength more than uber size. I like being able to move fast.

10. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Talking about people overcompensating for their other supposed deficiencies, how tall were those two notable psychos Joseph Stalin and Adolf Hitler? Or did they have other reasons for killing roughly half of Europe's population between them?

11. Saven Registered Member

Yes. But being tall is positively correlated with intelligence. There my be a biological component at work here that makes tall people, on average, smarter, or it's due to pyschological reasons.

Never assume that anything in my threads takes place outside of the USA unless stated otherwise at the beginning. Average height in the USA is somewhere around 5'10" for whites and blacks. It's lower for ethnicities such as the chinese. But if you're an adult below 5'10" and you're white, black, or somewhere in between, then you're below average height.

Being 8 ft. tall isn't "normal human growth." We have come to a point in our civilization where we have all the protein and food energy to reach as tall as our genetics allow us to become. However, some people's genes are making them short. Are those "bad genes?"

This is about height. If you want to talk about running speed or strength, you're free to make another thread.

If they were taller than you, then they looked down on you. As a short person with a napoleon complex, you may have had a pyschological need in your head to feel tall by building up an inflated ego... but most people probably didn't notice nor care.

Aye... but such people tend to pronounce those talents or emphasize them more than they would have, had they not been short guys. EXAMPLE: short bodybuilding men who get all ripped. They look ridiculous to everyone... and they know it. Yet they think that it will earn them respect in a world where everyone is taller than them, and therefore more threatening.

So... what is your actual height?

12. Saven Registered Member

Google's telling me that Hitler was 5'9 and that Stalin was 5'6. Your theory may hold water.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes, because that's a really large sample..

Edit: Also, 5'9 isn't that short.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  14. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

What about Napoleon and D'Annunzio? They did all right.

15. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I knew there was something wrong with midgets.

16. Saven Registered Member

The general rule is that tall people succeed in politics way more than short people. Exceptions do not invalidate the rule. That's why they're called "exceptions."

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes, but isn't that rather because of how others perceive them, instead of how they are ?

18. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well all right but you don't have to get you're knickers twisted over it

19. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Yup: and WHAT an increase -
    Wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Height_and_intelligence

Hmm okay.

But the potential is there - people are growing taller (gradually) as time goes on.

Now there's a controversial statement.

Only in the physical sense.

Assume much?

Apparently you assume a great deal.

really?
    ALL of them?

And the tall guys do it because...?
    Fatuous generalisation.

1 meter 73 - just over 5' 8" to you.
    And also FYI, since you mentioned the correlation: IQ 162.

20. Saven Registered Member

Yes, I agree with you.

21. Saven Registered Member

Okay, so you *are* short. Not grossly short, but what many would consider to be short. With that outta the way...

Sorry, I don't pay attention to IQs at all. I pay attention to observable intelligent actions and statements only, when judging such things. Moving on...

It isn't normal to be 8 ft. tall. Such people have hormonal disorders and at that point the height becomes a detriment to the human heart. That's a height you DON'T want to reach. Defective human bodies are not included in the discussion of what is "normal," in this thread, for obvious reasons.

And it is not all short people who work out that have short man syndromes and therefore need to compensate. But because they are short, they have less going for them in areas such as physical attractiveness, confidence, and the like. It is VERY typical for those shorties to try and get ripped, in order to impress people in ways they otherwise could not.

22. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Correction: as stated I am taller than average for my generation and country.

But you raised the point...

And X years ago 6 foot would have been unusual.

That's true for some short people, but not in general.

23. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Seeing as we're generalising here you do realise that the majority of sportsmen are rather tall, and thick as pigshit.