Disorder vs. personality type

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by visceral_instinct, May 5, 2009.

1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Where do you draw a line between having a psychological disorder and merely having a problematic personality type?

Lots of people don't have a disorder, but still find it hard to unlearn behavioural patterns and not make mistakes.

At what point do you label something as a recognized "disorder"? Would you call it that only if you literally can't unlearn it?

Thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

I have discovered that most "disorders" and "problematic personality types" are different forms of retardation. Without the proper intelligence they can't possibly be expected to learn a new behaviour, or?

These people often seem to block themselves automatically from learning something new.

Afraid of finding out they were "wrong".

We can't change them. Just let them be. Suffer in silence.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I think it's based on your behavior how frequent it is, how "abnormal" the behavior, how many other people behave that way. Basically whatever the DSM IV says. If you meet all of the criteria for a disorder, then you have a disorder. If you don't, then you just have issues, but no disorder.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

I'd say it's a disorder when it stops you from being a functional person without accommodations. I have some disagreeable aspects to my personality, but I can accommodate the situation if need be.

8. Girr Registered Member

It's subject to interpretation. So long as we don't understand to the full extent both the complete workings of the human brain and how to apply those workings to behavior, it will always be subject to interpretation.

similarly, there is a gradient with the clear extremes being obvious fits and the less extreme falling into "catch all" categories or, worse, being opted in or out by the diagnosing physician, again subject to their interpretation.

It will be a while until all these disorders are fully understood to the point that there is a clear point at which it "is or isn't" something - not to mention that these disorders are also somewhat defined in respect to how one fits the mold of society, which is also constantly in a state of flux.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I would think a psychologist or psychiatrist would be able to answer that question much better than I can. There's a fine line between the two and only an expert can give you the correct answers others will only be grasping at straws.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!