On board computers in cars

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by quantum_wave, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

My car has an on board computer that is supposed to trim the engine to best performance. Lately, when the engine is cold at start up, there is a lot of hesitation and chugging and coughing for a few minutes before the computer gets the trim set. My question is, is there a rechargeable battery in the on board computer? Could the problem be that the computer battery is worn out and over the night it is losing power and "forgetting" the trim settings? If so, can I pull the computer and replace the battery; it is a 2001 Ford Escape.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It is a 20 year old car, it needs to be updated for sure perhaps a new computer module would be a better idea because your computer work off your cars battery. Could be you just need a good tune up. Only a diagnosis by someone with proper equipment will be able to resolve this problem.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

tune up. i havent looked at an engine for 10 year, nor do i have any desire to but i would say check the distributor cap and see if there is any charring.

so get some new bcables, spark plugs cap and rotro and youll be good to go.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

It is older than most of the members here

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. I keep fixing it and waiting for it to give out but it refuses to finally give up. What I really would like to find out is if there is a rechargeable battery in the OBC. If so I might try to pull the computer and change the battery before taking it in. I did change the plugs, check the coils, replace the fuel filter and air filter, and have been using the fuel injector cleaner in the last few tanks of gas. The cold start has improved as a result, but it just might be a complete fix if there is a run down battery in the OBC. Anyone know?

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You'd better call your local dealer and ask their service manager that question to be on the safe side but if I recall there were no OBC batteries back then.

9. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

I think I'll do that. When I was buying plugs and gaskets for the minor tune up, the parts clerk was very helpful, unlike the service department who wanted $990

10. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

She says no battery and the part runs ~$475. Since I don't know that is the problem I think I'll wait. Maybe I could check the salvage yard and pull one from a crash car and swap it out to see if it helps

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why can't you just get a diagnostic test done to see what the problem actually is? Once they tell you then you can fix the problem yourself.

12. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

I have an OBD2 code reader and before the minor tune up I got the codes downloaded and it identified a misfire on cylinder 3. The on-line help from the OBD2 manufacturer diagnosed the codes and suggest the plugs and coil checks, which I did. Since the tune up I am not getting any engine checks light or codes.

I did take it to the dealer to ask about a diagnostic which would have been $90 and when I told them about the codes I downloaded, they wanted $700 just to change the plugs and if the coil on cylinder 3 needed to be replace it was another $200, so I did it myself. Since I'm not getting any codes now, I am thinking it might be the processor itself.

Actually, it is not a big problem any more and I was just trying to make the problem go away completely. I will live with it for now. Something else will give out and I might have to make a trade then. I have a few bucks set aside for replacement when the time comes. It just hasn't come yet

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

My Ford Focus does the same thing. I'm just going to bring it in to the dealer.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd think a 20 year old car really is getting to a point where you are throwing away money chasing after problems and it is about to give out on you as well. Most engines last about 200,000 miles or so without to many problems if they are well maintained. After that anything can go wrong and usually does.

15. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Wait, are car years like two human years? Sort of like a dog year is seven human years?

This is a 2001 Ford Escape. It has 90,000 miles. I change the oil regularly, keep it maintained, it looks good, it just keeps going. The cold start problem is annoying but we have the summer coming up and cold weather is behind us for awhile here in Florida. I've never had the same car for ten years but maybe this one will make it

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'd say it's more likely that the computer itself is worn out. That happened to two of my cars. I had a 1982 Pontiac Trans Am and in 1989 with only 80,000 miles the computer failed completely. The car was belching smoke, getting 7mpg and performing like a 4-cylinder engine. Then in 2002 I bought a 1989 Porsche 928 with 90,000 miles. The computer started to behave unreliably in 2004, but then so did the rest of the car. Porsches are hot-looking cars with no longevity, except for the 911. I had to sell it for scrap. I don't know if the newer computers are cheaper to replace, but the ones for my cars were $1500 parts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.