I'm resistant to anesthesia?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Naturelles, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Naturelles Future Scientist Registered Senior Member

I remember a few years ago when I went for an endoscopy, the doctor starting injecting me with an anesthetic for the procedure, first he gave me the normal dose for my age/weight but I didn't feel sleepy at all, he slowly increased the dose till he gave me the maximum dose, had no effect to make me fall asleep but the doctor said I wouldn't feel anything, I was awake the whole procedure and didn't feel anything in my stomach or intestines, but all my senses weren't num, my throat was normal. What could've been going on :bugeye:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You are a genetic mutation!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Perhaps it was a dream..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Naturelles Future Scientist Registered Senior Member

No, I still have the medical report

But I think he put in an anesthetic targeted towards the stomach and intestine only, and not targeted to sleep, the doctor was weird and wasn't willing to talk to me about it.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Perhapse the drug he used was diluted and not the real streangth as it was supposed to be. Today many things are being shorted so that they can make more money on less drug.

9. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Or maybe you have some strange immunity or need a whole lot of it, to feel the effects.

10. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

I have the same resistance Naturelles.

When I go to the dentist for a filling for example, I have to get 6X the normal amount of anesthetic.

I've been told that it has something to do with nerve sensitivity and/or blood absorption rates.

11. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

It sounds like you were given a benzodiazepine rather than an anaesthetic.

I believe that for procedures like endoscopies it is usual these days to use benzodiazepines rather than anaesthetics. Lorazepam is commonly used, as is midazolam. Lorazepam isn’t an anaesthetic, as such, but has all five intrinsic benzodiazepine effects: anxiolytic (ie. reduces anxiety), amnesic, sedative/hypnotic, anticonvulsant and muscle relaxant. All the things you need when endoscopes are inserted into various passages!

I have never had lorazepam but I know a few people who have been given it for various types of endoscopies. Their experiences have all been the same – they think they are wide awake and fully cognisant during the procedure, but they barely remember the procedure afterwards. They felt totally relaxed to the extent that they didn’t care about the endoscopes and didn’t feel any discomfort.

12. Naturelles Future Scientist Registered Senior Member

That was most probably what happened. Thanks for the info