Do women make better managers?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by mikenostic, Apr 23, 2009.

1. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

No
    And it's not surprising that this article was written by, you guessed it, a woman.

http://businessonmain.msn.com/knowl...mentid=19055985&source=msneditorial&GT1=25049

What an arrogant bitch.

I've had male and female supervisors alike in my time. One gender as a manager is no better than the other. Even my current supervisor is a female and I have no problem with her whatsoever. Plus she is kinda militant (in a good way) like a guy is.
    Had this been an article about men being the better managers, you can bet your ass you'd have a slew of defensive women ready to put their two cents in ready to lynch the author, especially if it were male.
    And had this been that kind of article, I would have made the same thread accordingly. Men are no better than women as managers, nor are they any worse. They just tend to manage a little differently.

And this:
    While I am speaking objectively, I just don't see men giving up their control anytime soon. And if they do have to give up their control in any one place/area, the men will probably find somewhere else to work leaving the supervisory/manager women to their own devices.

So I'm interpreting this as, while men are uni-dimensional, they are usually experts in that one field, and women, while a jack of many trades, are masters of none of them. :shrug:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Drphail Banned Banned

there's no such thing as girls on the internets, no need to suck up to them

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

I just see these articles as pointless. Just look at individuals. While I do think it's important women be supportive of other women regarding our gender and sexual identities (and vice versa), I don't think an article like this serves to empower anyone.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think it depends on the age of the woman.

8. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

*Elbows Orly in the ribs.* Pfft.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Don't YOU start.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I had a female boss in her late 50's who was a battle ax. It was like she always had to prove that as a woman she had a right to be there. That she was as good as the guys.

Most women my age or younger don't. It never occurs to them that they shouldn't have the job they have because of their gender.

10. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Oh. Agreed then. *Retracts elbow.* Do you think it's because we don't teach girls to assert themselves?

11. copernicus66 Banned Banned

Men and women have different 'styles' of management? What the fuck is this bullshit?

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Engineering is a man's world. I know she fought long and hard to get where she was.
    She did all the 'clear cutting' and we skipped down the path she created without a bit of appreciation.

She could have been a mentor, but seemed to be resentful because we had it easier. Of course we were also dealing with a different generation of men.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I know that more men than women are losing jobs now. Any connection?

14. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Ah, I understand that. I work in a male-dominated field, and while a lot of places offer a place to stay where I could work, and the school I was considering has dorms, they're MALE ONLY. They can't let girls sleep there; we'll be having sex all over the place

15. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

What kinds of fields?
    And how do you know that more women than men are losing jobs? And what part of the world are you talking about?

16. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

When did the new generation start and how do you feel that they differ from the previous generation attitude and disposition-wise?

I'm all for equal rights for women, but that also means NO-selective equal rights. Meaning that if you are going to be a strong willed, independent woman(and I have NO problem with that), you don't get to act like the little helpless damsel that has to get her man to do stuff for her around the house when you're there. That's selective behavior.
    That also means, learn how to shovel the driveway snow.
    Learn how to change your freakin oil.
    Learn how to use basic power tools.
    ...etc.

17. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

That's because that WOULD happen.
    Go to any military base where they hold their MOS training schools, and the barracks are co-ed. There is nothing but fucking going on there.

And in case you forgot from your days at TTU, there was quite a bit of fucking going on in college, co-ed dorms or not.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Corporate and business world, science labs and banks.

How do I know? Inside sources.

19. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

And if you want any sort of credibilty whatsoever, you'll have to do way better than that. Otherwise you are full of shit.
    There is currently no indication that men are losing jobs faster than women here in the U.S.

20. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Sugar, you KNOW how uptight I am. Sex in college? You misjudge me! Oh, Mike.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

22. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Now that I'm over my sheer embarrassment at the mention of sex, Mike, do you really think sex is going to topple the funeral services business? Drugs, maybe, but not sex.

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Guys new to the job in the late 80's. Their parents were most like of the Boomer Generation.

These were old-school guys:

I had a guy ask me in an interview if I was on birth control because if I was planning on having children soon, well....
    I had a male boss tell me that since I was the only girl in the dept I might have to deal with some 'razzing' and crude language, but boys will be boys
    I had a manager handing out forms we needed. When he got me me he held it behind his back and said "what will you give me for it"