Resonant-macrosonic-synthesis technology

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by cosmictraveler, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

By Steven Ashley, Associate Editor

Researchers have devised a new technique to use sound waves, opening the way for simple acoustic compressors, speedy chemical-process reactors, and clean electric-power generators.

Ever since electricity became a familiar part of everyday life, people have grown accustomed to the idea of getting the power for various mechanical tasks from unseen electromagnetic waves traveling through metal wires. Few, however, have witnessed the acoustic analogue of electromagnetism—sound waves, or pressure waves, propagating through gas-filled chambers—doing much in the way of useful work.
    This CAD drawing depicts an acoustic-air-compressor unit based on MacroSonix Corp.'s resonant-macrosonic-synthesis technology.

That situation may change, as a new way of packing large amounts of power into sound waves can now be used as a prime mover for a range of industrially significant processes. Over the past decade, Tim Lucas, an acoustician who is president and chief executive officer of MacroSonix Corp. in Richmond, Va., has developed a technique by which standing sound waves resonating in specially shaped closed cavities can be loaded with thousands of times more energy than was previously possible. For example, the new devices can generate dynamic (oscillating) pressures exceeding 500 pounds per square inch in gases, more than what is needed for commercial applications. "You've heard about researchers using sound to levitate Ping-Pong balls inside tubes," he said. "Our technology should allow us to levitate bowling balls with sound waves."

Lucas's wave-shaping technology is known as resonant macrosonic synthesis (RMS). With some clever engineering, he said, the elevated acoustic-energy levels produced using RMS can be tapped for a wide range of industrial applications, including simplified compressors, pumps, speedy chemical-process reactors, and clean electric-power generators. MacroSonix has already licensed the RMS technology to a large appliance manufacturer to develop acoustic compressors for home refrigerators and air conditioners.

http://www.memagazine.org/backissues/membersonly/march98/features/sound/sound.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

OK, fine, but what do you have for us today that won't come up again for the next two years, huh?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

wow Cosmic . You have blossomed . Seeds from the past . What can you tell us about it now that we are listening . Anything new ?

I can see it now !!! The future . No more warehouse workers . Or better said no more human warehouse workers . Wow this is some crazy shit . It ties right in with Me heat sink ideas of creations . Heat and cold create the differential and from there colliding waves make for more resonating waves or wave combination. All the beginning before matter came to be . Matter being like a heat sink . A sequestering so to speak .

Well maybe not , but I bet I could sell it to a crank . What has value is the bigger question ? Fair Market value ? Can that really be construed as Fair Market if it is crankery ? Sorry Trolling again .

That is heavy duty sound engineering . Hats off to those brilliant sound people

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When I first posted this no one bothered to reply to it yet 2 years later someone else starts a new thread about it and some respond. I've posted about new technology a few times with little response so I've stopped doing that for the most part seeing as how few respond to anything new.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.