Mapping brain waves and making generalizations on human cognition

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Algernon, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Algernon Registered Senior Member

I noticed this image link when I was looking up hippocampus functions on wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rat-hippocampal-activity-modes.png

Suppose we were able to trace these analog waves and convert them to a digital format, and then take a sample population and extrapolate it for certain characteristics... granted the subjects did their best to cooperate with measurements.

We wouldn't be able o exactly interpret or explain the specific thought processes in particular, since each person holds their own memories and decryption system (key/legend/cryptograph) from which they use to interpret internal stimulus, but maybe we could map out certain generalized emotions.

ie: They've already mapped regions of the brain under scared/happy/thinking/listening to music/eating/ etc etc. It'd be interesting to map out patterns in brain waves during sleep for specific situations or even when awake, such as like jealousy or shame or curiosity. It'd be interesting, just throwing it out there.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Algernon Registered Senior Member

Btw, for those without background on neuro: hippocampus deals with long term memory and spacial navigation (where you are and where your body parts are relative to your brain i guess, can also be used for directionality and interpretation of orientation due to gravitational forces, such as the ochlear bones [the 3 rings] in your ear containing flakes).
    I think the frontal cortex has more to do with our engraved personality characteristics and temporary cognitive processes...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

For much simpler reason than you state: EEG signals are the net, usually scalp surface voltages, due to the activity of zillions of neurons ~95% of which have nothing to do with conscious thought.

You can connect an EEG machine to plastic bowl filled with Jell -O and then shake it or stick finger into it near center and wiggle finger to make “Jell- O waves” which are very similar to "brain waves" especially if the slower components are filtered out. - You might as well try to determine from these signals what the bowl of Jell-O is thinking about. (If you do not filter, the Jell-O waves looking like a sleeping or comatose brain.)

One can gain some control over their EEG signals, and even use them to control machines, with practice using "bio-feedback." For example, it is not too hard to learn how to make a light controlled by your brain waves grow dimmer or brighter as you wish. The USAF tried to let pilots learn how to fly their air plane with brain wave control to have at least partial control for them to have hands more free. - I forget to what degree they could.

Much more interesting to me, and related, is that one can tell about pre-conscious decision and problem solving progress from brain waves. I have mentioned Benjamin Libet's now nearly 30 years old experiments in several threads (but spelled it Libbet). He had brain contact electrodes (on the pre-motor cortex, as I recall) for much more localized signals and showed that the decision to push a button "at random time of patient's choosing" was made about 1/4 second before the patient consciously decided. (Patient watched a faster than normal sweep second hand of a clock, and soon after consciously deciding reported where it was when he consciously decided.) Libet knew from the change in the EEG that the patient had decided to push the button, ~0.25 sec before the patient did.

More recent MRI studies have pushed that out to about 5 seconds before the patient knows. Here is a link, just released, to popular account in The Economist with 8 seconds lead in the EEG:

http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13489722

I plan to start a thread in this forum on this called "Free will, Ha! You’re the last to know “your decisions.” to discuss "Free Will" and will quote some from this article, etc.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.