Building a Brain on a Silicon Chip

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Plazma Inferno!, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Don't they watch SciFi movies? :bugeye:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

If you read the Dune book series, you'll soon find that making A.I. is not to our advantage.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

haha

Seriously though, what is the advantage of A.I.?

A computer psychologist is about the only thing I can think of. lol That would be good for Engineers, and various other nerds of the world who don't want to chat with an actual ego. lol

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

speed is the primary advantage of AI.
    what would take a human with pencil and paper a few days will be a matter of seconds with AI.
    repetitive tasks would probably be a second advantage.
    humans are prone to mistakes when it comes to repetitive tasks.
    reliability would be a third.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Was this using that forth fundamental component? (The 'memrister', I believe it was called).

8. John99 Banned Banned

Leo,

yes. speeed but that is all.

even the events involving the computer from the movie linked to below could never happen because there would need to be some trigger for HAL to go bad. it would have to be predetermined and that determination would be the work of the programmer. there are some other points but that is primary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_(film)

also, there is no human equivalent to hard drive. the human brain is self contained.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  9. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

A computer virus or worm... thats the main failure of A.I. unless you can make an evolutionary A.I. that somehow reconfigures against potential threats. Sounds unimaginably complicated though.

10. John99 Banned Banned

also no real way of emulating a personality that can change on account of its own decision processes.

if a chip was built that can process information and required no hard drive then that would be a good start. basically what we have now is a database with an engine (CPU) to find data or instructions. sure on-chip memory exists but is so small and serves a limited purpose or ram which is volatile anyway.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

A personality is just a processor that can change it's own programming. I don't see any significant barrier to intelligent machines. Our own brain is proof of concept.

12. John99 Banned Banned

and how do you imagine it would change its own programming?

13. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Because the original programming allows such changes to be made, maybe?

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yes digital computer function very differently from a human brain, the human brain might best be thought of as a giant analog field programmable gate matrix. Our present computers were designed around single thread operations in digital, and we have to switch over to massive parallel operations in analog to truly emulate the human brain or to create highly intelligent AI in a practically size platform. Thankfully our computer technology has one upped on the brain long long ago: the human brain transmitters and processes signal via ionic and diffusion transfers, these are pathetically slow compared to electronics, the movement of sodium/potassium ions and neurotransmitters is nothing compared to an electron through metal or silicon.

John99,

Self programing gate arrays have existed for decades, one can easily be made with some hardware programing and a FPGA, making one large enough to think like a human is another thing though.

15. John99 Banned Banned

i guess i should have read the fifth paragraph on the second page sooner.

16. John99 Banned Banned

it is more simulation. it would be pretty funny though because all chips would turn out differently.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It would have as a part of it's operation, a recursive loop where it evaluates it's actions against it's goals, and then update it's method of operations as needed.

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

reliability must also be included.
    transistors rarely fail, and when they do it's because of over voltage or overheating.
    the earliest ICs had shelf lives of 100 years or more.

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Many ways for computers to learn, evolving programing in software, strengthening or weeding connections: FPGA and artificial neural networks can do that either at each connection (as our brains and these chips do) or by having a program refresh the gate array after each cycle.

20. Roman Banned Banned

There may be emergent traits with the amount of speed a computer would have, compared to a human. Imagine thinking 1,000,000x faster.

21. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

I'd be able to save so much time in reaching the wrong conclusions...

22. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

You would reach the wrong conclusion once ever microsecond.

23. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Wow.
    That would make me fit to join the ranks of engineering managers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.