anti greenhouse gasses

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by orcot, Mar 25, 2009.

1. orcot Valued Senior Member

I've recently seen a tv show abouth global warming and possible methodes to prevent it like sending millions of little solar shades in space.

In that line I wonder, would adding helium to the earths atmosphere make it cooler?
    In conduct's heat 5 times better then regular air, so the heat would probably rise higher in the atmosphere where it get's more easier radiated into space.

So basically is helium a anti greenhouse gas?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

Reminds me of an article I read recently in Foreign Affairs,

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/artic...steinbruner-and-kat/the-geoengineering-option

A similar idea has been proposed, but instead of expensive helium (which I'm not positive would work), they could simply dump tons of particulate in the upper atmosphere to help reflect sunlight. The article looks at some of the risks behind such methods, as we don't positively know what trying to engineer the climate would do.

Dispite the cost, I dunno, would helium work? I know these methods focus more on reflecting the sun's radiation, not allowing the earth to radiate more effectively, but it's a neat idea.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. orcot Valued Senior Member

Sounds more like creating a haze like in a nuclear winter, that blocks the sun light.

Their seems to be 2 main ideas to counter global warming as I Get it.
    1 is to change the amound of light that get's absorbed in this case by creating a haze high up (or more practical by placing reflective sheets over ski tracks)
    Or 2 by reducing greenhouse gasses like CO2 that absorb heat.

I wonder if their is a 3de alternative if helium with it's high thermal conductivity could transport heat that's trapped near the surface and move it upwards (where it's colder) somewhat increasing the size of our troposhere (the part of the atmosphere where tempratures decline as you move up).

If the higher air layers are hotter then they can radiate more energy back out to space creating a cooling effect.

It would probably take a lot of helium gas but I wonder if the basic idea behind it is correct.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jnc1110 Registered Senior Member

I don't believe it is. I'm not all that smart in the field of chemistry (made a D in General Chemistry II), so not to appear superficial, but I do distinctly recall from my General Biology II class that if northern gyres in the ocean were fertilized with Fe then it would cause a mass population growth of diatoms, which would capture more greenhouse gases (H20 vapor, CH3, CO2, &c.). From what I learned in Ecology, if we don't do something soon then a run-away greenhouse effect could occur (e.g. on Venus) where the biosphere became so hot that all of the H20 vapor evaporated, Coriolis brought it to the poles and tore a big ass hole in the stratosphere.

8. orcot Valued Senior Member

Thx for responding altough I believe Fe (iron) and He (helium) are 2 quit different elements

The helium would probably diffuse with everything and over the course of millions of years escape from earth.

But as you talk of venus. Some suggest to terraform it by introducing hydrogen transorming the CO2 into H2o by the bosh reaction and if you get it from a gas giant it would always come in combination with helium.
    If the added helium increases the convection of Venus atmosphere then the it might compensate for the extra solar light it recieves.

9. orcot Valued Senior Member

So... annybody knows the answer to this quistion?

Say somebody would terraform Venus and import hydrogen from somewhere to change CO2 into H2O could helium increase the thermal conductivity so it radiates more heat away?

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  11. orcot Valued Senior Member

your wiki article doesn't exist.

And if someone ever going to do something abouth global warming here on earth then yes they will probably use aerosols (the only reasons people don't seem to be considering it now is because they can not switch them off at will if things go bad)

Still helium (I'm yust wondering if there is something that you might call a anti greenhouse gas) Would it's high conductivity create something of a heat bridge that would radiate excess solar energy far more efficient away at night?

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

That because your an idiot, you can't even look at the link and correct for one simple error at the end.

Sure they can, they fall out of the atmosphere at a very predictable rate, So once you stop adding it, it all falls out in a few years.

Where are we to get that much helium, its insanity!

13. krokah Registered Senior Member

Has anyone thought about the impact it could have on earth if everyone stopped smoking? Its a nasty habit and does anyone have an idea how much it contributes, if any, to global warming? :shrug:

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I would say it negligible, a single tree burning has got to be worth millions of cigarettes, and acres of trees are going down a minute.

15. orcot Valued Senior Member

Back to the point there are certain gasses that trap heat that we call greenhouse gasses are there any gasses that trap little heat and radiate it more easily to be considerd a anti greenhouse gas.

16. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

17. orcot Valued Senior Member

thx for the link trippy