Visual Hallucinations

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Orleander, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

If a psychotic person was having visual hallucinations and poked out both their eyes, could they still have the hallucinations? Is it possible to see it in your head, like a dream?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Eat a bunch of acid and tell us what you see.

Really though, how do you come up with this stuff?

If I were you I'd try to bind the psycho before I tried to blind the psycho. Either way good luck.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Yes, for that is where many hallucinations stem from.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I don't suppose that the thought "Crazy, lunatic mutha-forker" even occured to you, right?

You just had to post this on sciforums because you ...ahh, ....well, ...you ....ahhh....? ...wanted an answer for crazy, lunatic mutha-forker actions?????

Baron Max

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

No, I was wondering if hallucinations would stop if you had no eyes to see them with.

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Do you think hallucinations are something that someone actually sees with his eyes?????

Look up the word "hallucination" in the dick-shun-ary.

Baron Max

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

there are visual hallicinations and auditory hallucinations.
    He didn't hear them with his eyes, he saw them.
    Eyes gone, his world is black, will he still see them? Or now will he only hear them? Dammit Baron! Its a yes or no question!

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, he didn't!!! Do you "see" your dreams with your eyes ....while you're sound asleep???

Yes, he'll still "see" them. Hallucinations are in the mind, NOT in front of his eyes! If he could actually see them, others could see them, too!!

Why don't you do a little thinking ...PRIOR.... to post your silly questions?

Baron Max

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

well baron, I've never been psychotic, so I don't know how it works.

I see that you do, so.... thank you.

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

You can think, can't you? You can use logic, can't you? You can use dick-shun-aries, can't you? You can use your imagination, can't you?

Baron Max

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Just wow..

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There could be some psychological effect, like the placebo effect. If he believed his eyes were the source of the hallucinations, perhaps they would stop if the eyes were "out of the picture". Probably not though.

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

for once i agree with barron, orleander please actually THINK about things. hallucinations are a BRAIN problem, not an eye one. ie they origionate in the visual or audial parts of the brain. Its possable you could also get touch ones and taste and smell ones as well.

Put it this way, when you think about what someone looks like when they arnt there what are you using? (hint, the answer is in the wording of the sentance)

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Visual Hallucinations are among the many problems for standard cognitive science doctrine which claims all perception "emerges" from / after many neural computational transforms of sensory input nerve signals. They are easily and naturally explained by my POV that what we perceive is an internally construced real time simulation, RTS, of the external world we can sense.

I.e we project ahead slightly the sensory information to compensate for the sequence of synaptic delays (but propagation down axons is also an important delay). I.e. time is required for neurotransmitter to diffuse across the synaptic clefs. The RTS allows us to experience the world in "real time." Without this RTS, a fast game of ping pong would not be possible.

For discusion of the RTS and some of the other proofs that I am correct with it instead of the accepted and very vague "perception emerges" POV, See:

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=1294496&postcount=52
    for details, and evidence supporting this non-standard POV. It is a long read, about 8 pages if printed, and more about how free will may be possible without violation of laws of physics than the RTS, but some of the evidence for the RTS is provided.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2009
  19. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Well DUH, it's not unreasonable to wonder whether if you have no vision and therefore no use of whatever those parts of the brain are that deal with vision, you could still 'see' due to the brain creating that vision.

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

VI, why not ask if blind people dream in pitures. They do you know (at least the ones who lost there sight latter in life anyway)

21. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Damn, I didn't know that...

22. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Actually I thought that when people have hallucinations, the additional image inside the hallucination occupies the same place with the actual place. For example, some kids are often said to have imaginary friends. Although the imaginary friends can't be seen by us, in the kids minds the imaginary friends do occupy the actual/non-imaginary place. For example, if the kids see their imaginary friends sitting in the sofa, we can't see the imaginary friends (as they are just hallucination), but we do see the sofa, right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Therefore, when the eyes are removed (like the eyes of the psychotic person in the OP), perhaps the overall vision (actual + hallucination) are also gone..? :shrug:

23. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Yes, those that have seen can still see in dreams and recall visual images, but just like your normally sighted their images seem to be very rich in detail but they are not. For example, close you eyes and imagine a tiger. - you probably have no difficulty doing this, but if you do, look at a picture of one first (please "see it from the side") Now to understand that despite the over all impression you have that it is much like actually seeing one with your eyes (rich in detail) you can learn that this is only an impression by trying to count the stipes on the tigerĀ“s side. - that level of detail is only available when you are actually seeing one.

To VI:
    In the young the brain is quite "plastic." The parts normally used for vision if born blind, and never saw, will generally be used for other functions at least to some extent.