Perspective Reasoning - How important is it for mental health.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Quantum Quack, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

What I mean by perspective reasoning is simply the ability to metaphorically step into someone elses shoes and take their position on an issue or problem.
    A significant form of intellectual empathy that allows for better decision making, behaviour towards others and social affinity.
    In the research I have done into mental health issues the diminishment of perspective reasoning is the first clue to a state of possible dysfunction and balance.

In severe cases leading to socio pathic behaviour and self destruction along with what ever can be taken with them.
    But in most cases it shows up as obnoxious behaviour where by the person is indifferent to the welfare or feelings of others.

It appears that males are more inclined to a loss of perspective reasoning than women, mainly I guess because they feel they can handle the consequences better due to greater size and strength.

Significant mental health issues arrise no doubt IMO due to the loss of perspective reasoning.

Care to discuss?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Why not the opposite? "The loss of mental health is the cause of the loss of perspective reasoning."? Hmm?

Personally, I think crazy people are just that ...crazy people. They were born that way ...just like evil people are simply evil people.

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

no barron, not all mental illness (or even most for that matter) are present from birth. Actually most present during pubity or early adulthood, depression is a difficult one to classify though because it can strike at any age both before and after and in some people is acute and some chronic, some people respond well to treatment and others it just keeps comming back (cyclic depression). You are right that some people have genetic predispositions for mental illness however but alot require a trigger as well

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

But you do have to have a predisposition to it, right ?

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

no, not for all of them. Family history of depression INCREASES risk that someone will suffer it but alot of people get it with no family history

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

But that doesn't mean that they don't have a predisposition..

10. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

Also doesnt mean they dont have a choice.

11. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

especially in regards to depression/and the OP I thought I'd add this:

"People often achieve great delight in "living life through the eyes of others" "
    in other words gaining significant joy in someone elses joy.
    This is often seen in the smiles of grandparents doting over their grandchildren.

Unfortunately some people feel that they should have a life of their own free of being inspired to pleasure through someone elses pleasure. Thus they can shut down that perspective empathic function to the point where by they gain no pleasure through someone elses joy.
    This is an ego centric issue where by the persons sense of personal dis-appointment forces them into a state of self induced misery.

I am not saying this is all there is to it nor that I am correct but offer it only as an observation , one of many I might add.

When a person for example sits in a crowded coffee shop with plenty of people around having a good time. Can they empathic ally enjoy the ambiance? Is one question I ask.

A diminished ability to reason using someone else perspective could be caused by many things. Mostly because they feel that others are unable to empathies with them and thus they experience bitter, dis-appointment due to a sense for betrayal.

"They should be able to empathise but they don't" type thinking can lead to severe depression. [ "tit for tat" type reaction sets in ]
    Especially teenagers, are vulnerable to this sort of reasoning until they learn that there is no obligation upon any one to be empathic and that being empathic is a free choice.
    By expecting something that is an issue of free choice tends to always force the chooser into choosing the negative so that they reinforce their ability to make free choices regardless of expectations. Thus expecting empathy as a "God given right" tends to remove it as a possibility.
    So the expectation of empathy or even sympathy can actually produce negative results thus leading to the sense of betrayal, thus depression sets in.

any ways some thoughts for what they are worth....

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  12. Tnerb Banned Banned

Sure if someone decides to interfre with someones freedom, they deserve to be able to stop them.

13. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

and I might add that the expectation of normal behaviour is the greatest issue. As you know behaving "normally" is a choice.

14. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Actually it is more the expectation of freedom as a right, that is at issue..

15. Tnerb Banned Banned

There is no choice. You do what you do and that's all you do. You don't interfere with anything.

16. Tnerb Banned Banned

Do you mean, we should expect freedom to be a right even when no freedom exists haha.

17. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

tnerb,
    I shall caution you only this once.....every time you stalk my threads or posts I shall report you to the moderator.
    Every time you post off topic comments or allude to your personal issues with me I shall report you to the moderator.
    I have this right to do so as posted in forum regulations.

This is a public forum for the benefit of all posters and not a place for venting your personal inner war.

use a little perspective reasoning if you can....

ok?

18. Tnerb Banned Banned

Should anyone be allowed to have freedom? Do you know what that means?

19. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

off topic
    the topic is perspective reasoning.

20. Tnerb Banned Banned

Ok deal... I will not stalk you.

21. Tnerb Banned Banned

I thought the issue was freedom as a right?

22. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

re-read the OP if you wish to participate

23. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

I think this is a very important discussion, it may be a defense system though, cause if you saw your own illness in the view of other people then the pain of knowing your own troubles could be too much and actually hinder the recovery process.

Insane people are often (or so it seems) driven by their illness. Sane people on the contrary are often walking their own way (so to speak). If the sane people did what they should, then I think that the insane would benefit from it, and I think that it is we, the sane, that hinder the current recovery process of most mental illnesses by not doing what we should do *whispers* help them.