How people not get overweighted or thinner without knowing how to eat.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Ivanovich, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Ivanovich Registered Member

Lets say average human does not know much about food, they eat something that has too much calories (i don't mean eating hamburgers in fast food), but simply eating without counting calories and without any consideration they just eat when they want what they want or can get, but still they don't treat food as fetish, they just consume it because their body say's it needs food.

So question here since what they can get is limitless this day's and food everyone is considering normal this day's is mostly crap with a lot of calories why they don't get fatter every day, what helps them to stay at about same weight throughout their life or not gain weight fast. Is it just feeling of fullness that tells them they dont want any more food?

Lets take someone who works physically hard, i cant imagine that he simply burns just right amount of calories at work to not get fat and not loose weight.

P.S. Some data on how average human changes wright during life would be helpful, thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Your metabolism is responsible for that. The level of your physical activity also determines it, but your metabolism 'has the final say' if you will.
    Take me for example. I'm about 5'11", 165 lbs and about 11% body fat.
    This is almost entirely due to my metabolism. It is rocket fast. I can eat nothing but Sonic, McDonald's and Arby's for two weeks straight and not gain a pound. And that's with minimal exercise.

See statement above.
    If he works physically hard and has a slow metabolism, if he eats high calorie/fat foods, he's still going to gain weight.
    There are ways for people to speed up their metabolism, but that starts getting into dieting and exercise.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Usually when you are young, under 45 or so, your metabolism can do a fine job of "balancing" everything but once you start getting older than 45 you lose that protection in many instances. That's why it is much more difficult for older people to keep themselves in the proper weight areas. Older people need less food but many keep eating like they were still 20! That's a big problem with the older people, learning to adapt to your bodies slower metabolic rate. :itold:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Yay for being young and having a ramjet engine for a metabolism.

I can eat shit tons of sugar and fat and still be borderline underweight.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Damn you , you young WHIPPER SNAPPER! :blbl:

9. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

While I won't disagree Cosmic, the general consensus is that your metabolism starts to slow down around 30, as most of the websites from my Google search indicates. I just turned 36, don't have a gut, and have a 32 inch waist.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=what age does your metabolism slow
    Your genes will play a part in when your metabolism slows down. Your daily activity will also play a part.
    For example, my 'rents are both 55. My dad, except for his beer gut, is rail thin. My mom is a waif. So Cosmic, what does that tell you about how I will look (provided I don't make a diet of beer) when I'm 55?
    Likewise, if one comes from a heavy set family with genes for slow metabolism, chances are they will have a slow metabolism too.

10. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

When you can still make that statement at the age of 36, come back and talk to me.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Hehe. My sister is in her 30s and still has this. She can eat anything and remain slim.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Your 40's are the slowing years, you'll find out, but enjoy the food while you can. :cheers:

13. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

What do your 'rents look like? Are they still slim too?

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

My mother is pretty slim, yes. Couldn't tell you about my...uh..paternal source of DNA...he's AWOL and I would rather he stayed that way.

15. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I eat whatever I want and my weight stays about the same, but I probably bounce around more than the average adult. I thought my metabolism was slowing down because gained quite a bit of fat all of the sudden, but my doctor said I was just "filling out". :shrug:

16. I Push Wood Dreadlocked Skateboard Fanatic Registered Senior Member

Hmmmmm... Well, I'm seventeen, 5'10, 150, and to be perfectly honest, my diet is anything but amazing. I thought moving from California to England would lead to better eating habits, but ohhhh was I wrong... And yet I've still managed to keep the same physique i had during wrestling season last year (Incredibly slim, 8% body fat). I think it's mainly just due to metabolism and excercise to be honest, though I've got other personal factors (like my depression, stops my appetite COMPLETELY sometimes), that contribute to my borderline underweight-ness (haha). But, seriously, excercise, I think it DEFINITELY plays a deciding role, though some people just process food slooooowly.. I must say though, i am an avid weed smoker, and I take my munchies veeery seriously, and It contributes nothing towards my weight gaining GOAL :m::bugeye: