Ocd

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by The_Doctor, Feb 12, 2009.

1. The_Doctor Registered Senior Member

Hello,I'm new to the forum,I'd like to start a discussion about OCD(Obsessive-compulsive disorder).Is this the right place for such a thread?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

Long as you you don't go on and on about it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The_Doctor Registered Senior Member

haha,well what do you know about OCD?Have you met anyone that has it?Do you have it?If you do,how do you live with it?Have you tried to stop being obssessive?Did you succeed?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

No I don't have it, but my mom does and she is old enough to be entitled to it.

I don't let it bug me as she isn't going to change. When it does start getting under my skin, I have to step back and relate to it. be aware that I have a choice in how it affects me.

Meds for her is out of the question

8. The_Doctor Registered Senior Member

oh,well my mother has it too,although I don't think she ever told anyone,I caught her counting up to 20 when looking at the oven:>and she opens and closes the fridge many times.haha

Well the fact is that I have it too,I haven't been examined but it is easy to tell since I had all the symptoms from an early age(around 12-13).
    It was never obvious to other people though,and especially outside my house,at school or with friends I never really had any problems.

But I had fears of harming family members,I had hard time questioning my sexual identity,and I've caught my self in the past,especially at a younger age,counting from 1 to 10 to see if a device is off.

Fortunately,it wasn't always that much of a problem since it didn't take hours out of my life(except 1 year when I was 15 when I had a really big problem with it),it was something like a mere distraction(or sometimes a bit more).
    I remember when I was younger and I was playing videogames,everything should be in order around me,and I was constantly looking at the tv properties to make sure that the colors are correct.

But I guess I somehow now can completely control it.I can think what I want.I can reject easily bad thoughs.Order is not something I care much about anymore:>Generally I feel happy and I'm not distructed by anything except that sometimes some compulses might pop up,but still I can control it and get over it.(like watching a clock many times when eating and overchecking if the house door is locked).I don't know how it is possible,but I think it is.There is nothing that I really can't stop myself from doing now.

That contradicts a bit with the clinical view of the problem I think(about brain malfunctioning),but well...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  9. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

Are fears of harming family members and trouble questioning your sexual identity considered symptoms of OCD? I always thought OCD was compulsively checking on something or engaging in ritualistic behavior in order to feel safe.

Are you predominately hetero, bi or gay?

10. The_Doctor Registered Senior Member

Yes they are.There are many symptoms linked to OCD.
    I am hetero.I solved my sexual identity problem by being more open minded about sexuality.That means that I don't care about being gay in the future and what society thinks about it.It is not even important!

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

my husband has OCD. He's has a repeatable circuit he makes around the house at a certain time locking up. Then going back and making sure he locked up. And then making sure he didn't forget to lock up.
    He also counts. Every evening he sits in his recliner and counts every single thing on the walls, even the knickknacks on the shelves. If there is a vase of flowers, he will count the individual flowers. He keeps track and gets anxious if the previous nights count is different.
    It makes it so easy to mess with him in so many ways.

12. el_tocolote_save_us Registered Member

I myself have OCD, i count things, and i walk how a knight walks in chess, in a L

its weird but yeah

i also have ADD
    so thats an interesting combination

13. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I think of OCD as a spectrum of behavior.

On a scale of 0 to 100, those who score from say zero to 25 cannot accomplish anything because they do not spend more than a few seconds on any given project or thought process.

On the same scale those who score from say 75 to 100 do not function well because they spend too much time on trivial issues.

I think that many so called mental disorders are also a spectrum, with disfunction at the extremes & functional behavoir in the middle of the scale.