Muslim in America

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Orleander, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I was also surprised about the reaction she got in Arab AL. I think the reaction she expected would have been the one she got in my hometown in Nebraska. But maybe I just think of how my Mom would react and don't give the rest of the townspeople enough credit.

How do you think people in your town react? I have a neighbour that won't go to certain stores owned by Indians because she is afraid her money will be filtered to terrorists. After all, one of those men is wearing a turban.

link

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Hailey Woldt put on the traditional black abaya, expecting the worst.
    Hailey Woldt, in a traditional Muslim head scarf, studied how people react to her garb in Arab, Alabama.

The last time she'd worn the Muslim dress that, with a head scarf, covered everything but her face, hands and feet, she was in Miami International Airport, where the stares were many and the security check thorough.

This time, she was in a small town called Arab. Arab, Alabama, no less.

"I expected people to say, 'What is this terrorist doing here? We don't want your kind here,' " said Woldt, a 22-year-old blue-eyed Catholic, recalling her anticipation before stepping into a local barbecue joint. "I thought I wouldn't even be served."

Instead, Woldt's experiment in social anthropology opened her own eyes. Apart from the initial glances reserved for any outsider who might venture through a small-town restaurant's doors, her experience was a pleasant one.

On her way to the bathroom, Woldt said, "One woman's jaw dropped, but then she smiled at me. ... That little smile just makes you feel so much better."

This unexpected experience has just been one of Woldt's takeaway moments on her current journey. She is one in a team of five mostly 20-something Americans, led by an esteemed Muslim scholar, who are crisscrossing the nation on an anthropological mission. Their purpose: to discuss American identity, Muslim identity, and find out how well this country upholds its ideals in a post-September 11 world.....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Man I get it pretty bad too. Funny really. Security checks are pretty bad, my dad is a lot darker than me and he gets pulled for random screening checks every time we go, while my mom is VERY fair(almost as much as a slightly tanned white person) and she's never gotten one. *shrug*

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm used to it by now. Considering how little I fly, its amazing how many times I get "randomly" picked up for a security check.

@ Orleander: There are good and bad people everywhere.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

I don't get any security issues ever. But than my skin is pink. So I guess its a privilege.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Pink ? lol

9. draqon Banned Banned

well peachy...I mean not sure how to describe skin color.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I know around here there isn't much Muslim bashing, but people really do seem to be annoyed by the Amish.
    They don't pay taxes. Apparently that annoys people.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What a very strange people.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. draqon Banned Banned

have you ever seen Amish people?

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

draqon, get out of my thread you ignorant troll.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I used to buy produce from them at a farmer's market. I always found them to be very nice. :shrug:

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm not surprised at their kind nature, they don't have to pay taxes.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I've never understood why people gripe about taxes. Don't you expect services from the government? Are these supposed to be free?

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

18. Roman Banned Banned

The Amish don't pay taxes because they don't use any government services, right?

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Is this true ? What about when one gets hit by a car ? Do they just let him die in the street ?
    Do they vote ?

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Try moving for a few months to a place where taxes are not so relatively high. Where losing a job, falling sick or having a death of the wage earner means you are completely on your own.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hey, I'm not complaining about having to pay taxes. I just think it's fair that everyone pays them.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Anyone willing to pay more because they use more services?

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Everyone pays the same, that's how society works.