Why do groups tolerate obnoxious alphas?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by visceral_instinct, Jan 18, 2009.

1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Why do groups of people tend to tolerate antisocial or disrespectful behaviour from their most dominant member? There are generally enough of them that they could pull him/her into line if they wanted to.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Why would they? You disagree with someone, you move on in life. I'm not gonna get into trouble with my organization because I'm conspiring to take down our leader.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Most people are followers and expect to follow orders, alphas dominate because they make the decisions.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I don't let anyone be obnoxious to me and I will tell them to cut it out or else I will leave. I really dislike it when someone tries to get uppity as well.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Weren't you in the armed services? How did that pan out?

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

No one pissed me off while I was in the service to much and the few that did I just I asked them to stop and they did....at least with me. Seems assholes just try to find those who will take their crap from them, pity.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sounds quite strange, from my brief stint with soldiers. I suppose you work for yourself?

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Not at all . I was under thr SAC branch of the USAF and took orders from many people with higher rank. It is just back when I was in there weren';t many assholes becauise they were dismissed, moved, or just discharged .

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You don't seem to understand the whole concept of "alpha." Alphas give conscious and unconscious cues that cause the other individuals in the pack to instinctively subordinate themselves. All pack-social species employ the alpha instinct, it's the only way a cohesive pack can be formed that will work together.

In dogs, we have selectively bred them to tone down the alpha instinct and also make it rarer. That was necessary to ensure that dogs will always regard humans as alphas. Only about one dog in 100 has a strong alpha personality, which is a much lower ratio than in wolves, who are a different population of the same species. Although in some breeds it's higher. In our Lhasa Apsos it's more like 99 out of 100. You put together a pack of Lhasas and there will be a lot of fighting for dominance. Especially the females.

13. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I can understand that, but surely there is a limit to how much someone will respond to a cue to be subordinate?

Why is it that even when someone is incessantly being racist and homophobic, for example, social values do not override the instinct to be loyal to the alpha member?

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Exactly. And the rest are afraid to stand up to the now dominant group.

15. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

What if you are neither follower nor alpha at heart...

I know if I'm with a group I have a strong instinct to be loyal to them, but on the other hand if someone is being an ass or picking on another member, I'll read him/her the riot act and I don't care if he/she is the alpha.

Am I an anomaly?

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, you're not an anomaly.
    There is not much point going against the established picking order I suppose, unless you can rally your own army

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I strongly dislike groups by the way. I don't want to be part of any.

17. draqon Banned Banned

Alpha members are defined by their social behavior. They cannot be anti-social.

18. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I tend to do it anyway. I like to be loyal, but not at the price of being a sheep.

I don't dislike them, but I do very much dislike some of the instincts that being in a group brings out in people.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That seems like a contradiction. Isn't being loyal pretty much being a sheep ? :shrug:

That's part of why I dislike groups.

20. draqon Banned Banned

That is illogical, it is a contradiction. One cannot be "loyal" yet not be a "sheep".

21. draqon Banned Banned

Yet you are in this group. A group called Sciforums.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Anyone can "go their own way" if they so choose. I've known many people who did just as they wanted to, some joined a commune, another became a biker and yet one more was a aid worker in Africa. So you need no army to go out on your own but always remember there is going to be someone you'll have to seek help from every now and then.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I do not aspire to be 'part of this group', I'm just voicing my thoughts here.